Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bill4342
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Ser11 semiphore switch.

Post by Bill4342 »

Hi, Anyone been brave enough to dismantle & re-assemble said switch. Just got my ser11 back to 1954 by removing flashing indicators (fitted under bumpers) and along with bulbs from ESM I now have bright flashing trafficators. Only problem is that the switch returns very quickly to cancel. With a new one in the region of £100
I am toying with the idea of inspection/repair if poss. Or is it a case of leave well alone!!
Thanks,

Bill.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Ser11 semiphore switch.

Post by myoldjalopy »

The pages in this article may help: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/ts101.htm
Bill4342
Minor Friendly

Post by Bill4342 »

Thanks very much myoldjalopy. Very smart reply & very interesting reading. Had a quick read thro & printed off for more detailed read. Nothing that a Moggie owner can't handle with usual care, attention & love. Car bedded for next few salty road months but i will have a go before spring.
Regards & thanks again.

Bill. :o
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

I found that even replacement of the seal and blocking off the inlet hole I couldn't get mine to hold for more than 30secs before returning. OK for the 1950s I suppose but not much good today. I decided to just remove the spring and allow it to be used manually.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

30 seconds seems pretty good to me, Stevey! that's a 30 second improvement on mine! :lol:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
A very interesting article, which prompted me to pull my old one apart:

Original Morris Minor series 2 trafficator switch.JPG
Original Morris Minor series 2 trafficator switch.JPG (897.99 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
The vacuum cap with the leather seal is indicated by my pliers (stamped 1961 GPO as an aside - my fathers originally).
It was very stiff, almost stuck in place, and also barely held the trafficators up and illuminated for more than a couple of seconds.
I sprayed plus gas down the gaps round the side to try and free it, to no avail.
In the end I had to drill a couple of very small holes, one on each side of the cap, to lever it out. I don't think where I've drilled them will effect the vacuum effect but if they do I shall have to seal them back up with resin.
When it came free it revealed, as well as the spring, the cut 'O' ring that you see in the centre of the picture.
However I didn't notice this in either the text or the images in the above article, so I think someone must have been in here before me and added this to 'stiffen it up'.
Trouble is, over time, it caused it to virtually grind to a halt! :roll:
The leather is now oiled and seems quite supple, too supple maybe, as it is now very responsive. I shall have to see how it is when reassembled.
However I have tried it with the 'O' ring back in place and it seems that the supple leather then makes no difference at all, the 'O' ring effectively jams it up. So that will now not be going back in again.
As the article says though, watch you don't loose those little nuts.
Also when the vacuum chamber comes apart, watch the final stage as mine 'popped' and I almost lost the spring.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Now reassembled --- quicker than writing this post! :wink:
Adjustment appears to be via the grub screw in the bottom of the unit (increases or decreases the vacuum inside the chamber, someone will be along in a second if I'm wrong, if so I will stand corrected), indicated in the picture below.
The unit now seems to work much better, with a distinctive delay between being switched on and it rotating back to the off position.
This is going on my 'free spares' pile beside my car at the next national, at least now I feel I can describe it as 'working' and I'm not just passing on a duff unit for someone else to fix.
I can recommend that article, it inspired me to have a go at something that has 'bad press' (as being unreliable) when, like allot of things on the Minor, it is quite straightforward to strip down and restore it back to working condition.
Just don't loose those nuts or the spring!!.......... :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
Original Morris Minor series 2 trafficator switch 1.JPG
Original Morris Minor series 2 trafficator switch 1.JPG (576.78 KiB) Viewed 2735 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Bill4342
Minor Friendly

Post by Bill4342 »

Thanks again myoldjalopy & other replies. I removed the switch, checked the cotton pad & found it very hard at the point. Fitted a new piece of cotton & grub screw & after some minor adjustment switch operated satisfactorly. Being quite inquisitive, I decided to strip the switch anyway. It was ok inside but I cleaned the leather washer & casings & am waiting for my order of bielectric grease for the rebuild. Thanks all again.
Bill.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Wow! Well done you guys! I'll have to try and sort mine now.....when I get round to it! :lol:
Bill4342
Minor Friendly

Post by Bill4342 »

Hi all,
Grease arrived today. Cold in garage but it took me approx 15 min to re-assemble. Greased leather seal & casing & switch working a treat--at least 20-25 seconds. Better longer- can always cancel manually. Still to fit to dash. Almost did not renew my subs to MMOC last month but very pleased that I did. Great group :D :D Total cost under £4.
Cheers guys

Bill 4342
jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

hi i have a 59 minor with trafficators but no switch would it be possible to wire up a two way switch to make them work instead of a semiphore switch cheers jeff-d
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, it is simply a case of making a connection to operate the trafficators. And breaking the connection again to turn the trafficators off. A two way switch would do the job fine. Maybe fit it under the dash?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jeff-d wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:41 am hi i have a 59 minor with trafficators but no switch would it be possible to wire up a two way switch to make them work instead of a semiphore switch cheers jeff-d
I'm now wondering what you have. Is the car off the road and the switch is missing?
Why not fit a Lucas SD84 type?

ESM has the SD814 type and another cheaper lever switch. There's plenty of options out there with other sites too, including ebay.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/elect ... as-p829883

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/elect ... rn-p829878

If you want a toggle rather than a rotating switch, something like this would work:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-Indica ... SwQFpeKuyW
Basil the 1955 series II

jeff-d
Minor Fan

Post by jeff-d »

thanks all for your help