Lumeniton Negative earth electronic ignition.

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Flywheel
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Lumeniton Negative earth electronic ignition.

Post by Flywheel »

Hi everyone, may i please ask for a little advice with regard to the Lumeniton Negative earth electronic ignition system fitted to my traveller.

Should i lubricate with a couple of drops of oil, the mechanical advance/retard weights in the base of the distributor? On my old Ford 103e 10 hp, i used to remove the rotor arm, and lubricate on the top there.

I'm assuming that i should not dribble any oil near the electronic unit, where the points used to sit.

Any advice, or tips about electronic ignition fitted to these motors will be gratefully received.

Thank you. Jonnie.
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Lumeniton Negative earth electronic ignition.

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Jonnie,
I have had this type of distributor before and I'm sure there was a pad for top lubrication, under the rotor arm?
If I'm remembering wrong someone on here will correct me but in the meantime there's no harm in removing the arm and taking a look.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

Hi Mike, ive taken the rotor arm off, and there doesn't seem to be a pad there. I thought it better to seek advice rather than chuck oil everywhere. The motor is running very well too.

Thanks for posting. Kind regards Jonnie.
W. Clement Stone
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There is nothing wrong with lightly oiling the distributer advance and retard weights/mechanism and under the distributor rotor arm.
There used to be factory fitted felt padss under the rotor arm but they have long since gone/discontinued from the factory specification.

If the distributer is not oiled there is a good chance that the distributer advance/retard mechanism will get stiff and eventually sieze.

Just a dab of light oil is all that is required to be applied to the moving parts.

I have a Lumenition negative earth ignition system (magic eye) fitted to my Minor.

Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

Hi Phil, thanks for the advice, i've never owned a car with this type of conversion so i thought better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks again, regards Jonnie.
W. Clement Stone