Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Earth Terminal Tags

Post by taupe »

Hi

Very pleased .. I found a pack of original earth terminals for the travellers on ebay. :D :D :D
Earth terminal.jpg
Earth terminal.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1090 times

From memory theres one at the rear and one at the front.

Taupe
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Earth Terminal Tags

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Taupe,
A good idea in themselves but, out of interest, are they new or NOS?
The only ones I've ever seen before are the rusted remains that I've had to remove and bypass, in order to get a decent earth again.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The original ones were coated brass I think and do not rust themselves. On the traveller there were two of them fitted (at 90degs to each other using one screw) to the right hand side boot floor. One was fitted to each inner wing on all Minors to provide earths for the front lights.
Corrosion in this area eventually makes the earth a little troublesome! The bullet connections themselves were also coated brass but new replacements are often coated steel which corrodes and causes a poor connection fairly rapidly :cry:

The bag pictured is an original Ripaults bag showing their old address in Enfield. They haven't been in business there for many years so the earth tage will be proper things. It is a well known 1930s Art Deco building, probably a listed building now!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:42 pm The original ones were coated brass I think and do not rust themselves. On the traveller there were two of them fitted (at 90degs to each other using one screw) to the right hand side boot floor. One was fitted to each inner wing on all Minors to provide earths for the front lights.
Corrosion in this area eventually makes the earth a little troublesome! The bullet connections themselves were also coated brass but new replacements are often coated steel which corrodes and causes a poor connection fairly rapidly :cry:

The bag pictured is an original Ripaults bag showing their old address in Enfield. They haven't been in business there for many years so the earth tage will be proper things. It is a well known 1930s Art Deco building, probably a listed building now!
Just for interest.....

it was Listed Grade II in 1988. But when developers tried to get permission to demolish it, they had it refused and on appeal the compromise was to allow the demolishing of the factory element, but the frontage/offices were retained.
https://historicengland.org.uk/services ... field-8254
https://c20society.org.uk/40-buildings- ... eld-london
Basil the 1955 series II

taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Yes they are 'old Stock' and plated brass I think :D :D

Theres still a few packs if you are quick...

Taupe
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

it was Listed Grade II in 1988. But when developers tried to get permission to demolish it, they had it refused and on appeal the compromise was to allow the demolishing of the factory element, but the frontage/offices were retained.
Listed should mean just that, listed and protected.
Not listed subject to the appeal of fat cat developers out to make a quick buck! :evil:
This is not the first listed building to meets its (in this case partial I admit, they retained the frontage - wasn't that good of them??) end despite being (supposedly) protected.
One good example was a hotel on the Reading side of a bridge over the Thames into Caversham, which 'mysteriously ' burned down after developers were refused permission to demolish......
Arson was suspected but never proved, how convenient............... :evil:
And there are other examples.....

Yes they are 'old Stock' and plated brass I think :D :D

Theres still a few packs if you are quick...
Thanks Taupe, for those who may be interested:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-RIPA ... Sw~wZefOBL

Also saw this useful item by them:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ripa ... Sw2EReTYIK

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:42 pm One was fitted to each inner wing on all Minors to provide earths for the front lights.
Hi
Basil's Earth Points are all over the place, especially in the boot and under bonnet areas.
Whereabouts were these clips fitted in the Boot and on the Front Wings?
If anyone can include a photo or two it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Basil the 1955 series II

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

ManyMinors wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:42 pm On the traveller there were two of them fitted (at 90degs to each other using one screw) to the right hand side boot floor.
My 1971 traveller has the boot earth connections via large ring connectors bolted to the bumper irons at each side. I've just fitted these as part of a new loom, but I'm sure the original loom was earthed the same way. Interestingly, the new loom has one of the earth wires for the rear lamps and indicators connecting at the other side. I presume this would be to prevent total loss of lighting if one earth failed, but can't fully follow the logic!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

geoberni wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:07 pm Hi
Basil's Earth Points are all over the place, especially in the boot and under bonnet areas.
Whereabouts were these clips fitted in the Boot and on the Front Wings?
If anyone can include a photo or two it would be appreciated.

Thanks
As I said earlier, these earths are fitted to the front inner wings on all models.
It is only the Traveller which also used them in the boot floor.
Photo attached shows the front earth tag as originally fitted which provides an earth for the headlights on later cars but earlier models had a sidelamp earth attached here too.
Attachments
Earth1.JPG
Earth1.JPG (227.92 KiB) Viewed 900 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

At the rear of the Traveller, in the right hand corner of the boot floor, 2 of these earth tags were originally fitted. Primarily this was to earth the number plate lights as the tail lights were earthed through the bumper mounts. This photo is not the greatest example being taken of a rather poor (but very original) car. Hopefully it will be sufficient to show what remains of the original earth tags.
Attachments
Earth2.JPG
Earth2.JPG (298.04 KiB) Viewed 899 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Thanks ManyMinors.
Basil's lighting earths both come out of wing, get joined to a single cable, which then goes off to the little plates at the top of the wheel arch area.
As with this offside one, the nearside does the same. But the nearside one just hangs loose along the panel as there's no loom to tie it to. :roll:
Basil Earth.JPG
Basil Earth.JPG (82.43 KiB) Viewed 894 times
I shall add Earth Points to the list of outstanding tasks on Basil!

Perhaps I'll use some in the boot too as there are stray wires all over the place in there. :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II