Directional Indicator Relay Unit

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JimBiddick
MMOC Member: No

Directional Indicator Relay Unit

Post by JimBiddick »

I have a 1961 Traveller that some did a chopped up wiring restorations. I have a new wiring harness but I am not sure the directional indicator relay unit is located in the correct place. Does any one know the correct location for the box. Engine compartment or under the dash?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Directional Indicator Relay Unit

Post by ManyMinors »

The flasher unit was never factory fitted under the dash to Minor 1000s. 1961 was the year that UK market Minor 1000s were first fitted with flashing indicators although some export markets had them prior to that. SO. Depending on exactly the age and specification of your car, the flashing indicators might or might not have been factory fitted. If you have already purchased the wiring loom and it has provision for the flasher unit, then all you can really do it to fit the flasher unit where it falls. The wiring loom you have will I assume be the one you ordered for the car? It will depend on what you ordered? Were you asked for the chassis number? When the flashing indicators were first introduced, all they did at the rear was to flash the brakelights. this was done via a Lucas DB10 relay which had 8 wires attached as well as the normal flasher unit which has 3 wires attached. Prior to that, early 1961 home market cars were supplied with trafficators. If that is what your car originally was, then flashing indicators will have been fitted afterwards.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

Hi Jim

You've not said if you're in the UK or overseas, so that will have a bearing on the configuration of your car. as MM said, 61 was changeover year and if the car was built with Flashing indicators it would have been a DB10 relay system.
You can find a full explanation here: http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/ID/Lights.htm

My car is a '55 but was fitted with 'Indicators' about 20 years ago. The then owner chose to use the '61 Flashing Brake light loom, presumably because this was the most compatible option as the rest of it wasn't changed from Trafficators standard, but altered it slightly to flash separate rear indicators, which is fairly easy to rewire in a few mins.

So it really depends on the wiring you have, but the Flasher will be under the bonnet if to a recognised build standard (or close to).

You say you have a new harness, but the big question is which one....

If you have the DB10 Relay standard, it will be like this on the inside wing. Don't look too closely and get confused by some terminals having a 2nd wire attached, Basil has an after-market (70s retro) Hazard Flasher fitted so there's an extra wire on each indicator :wink: feed.
DSCF8108.JPG
DSCF8108.JPG (519.35 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Basil the 1955 series II

JimBiddick

Post by JimBiddick »

Thanks for the help. It answered my question. Sorry I didn't include enough data. Car is a 61 export - USA.

Again thanks
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

JimBiddick wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:12 pm Thanks for the help. It answered my question. Sorry I didn't include enough data. Car is a 61 export - USA.

Again thanks
:lol: :lol:
I suspected you might be in far flung places as I briefly looked at your posting history (didn't take long :lol: ) for clues and spotted some, like spelling colour without a 'u' and use of the term 'Flat' paint whereas a Brit would say 'Matt'.:lol:

I'm guessing you're East Coast as you're posting reasonably early in the UK afternoon. :lol:

I'm glad we could help.
Basil the 1955 series II