Ignition switch wiring

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
air-drescher
MMOC Member: No

Ignition switch wiring

Post by air-drescher »

Hi there, my name is Carsten and I am writing from Germany. Am driving a 71 MM van and have a problem with the wiring of the ignition switch.
I had to unplug all cables from it and being a total moron forgot to make a sketch about the connectors. Can anyone send/provide a little sketch/list which cable goes to which connector? Didn´t find anything using the search function. Thanks in advance!!
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Ignition switch wiring

Post by simmitc »

Hi, until someone comes along with a photo, this diagram will tell you which wires go to the same terminals: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28295

If you have a multimeter then it is easy to test which two terminals are connected when the switch is "on". A third terminal is connected with those two only when the key is in the "start" position.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Carsten ,
If it's a 3 terminal ignition switch ( ? ), the wiring diagram for a " saloon " says : -
1. To Starter Motor Colour White with Red tracer wire ( via Solenoid )
2. Two wires Colour both White wires a. goes to Ignition warning light
b. goes to the fuse box for ignition controlled components
3 Feed from Battery Colour Brown with Blue tracer

On the reverse of the switch
The feed from Battery is a single Lucar connector , the other terminals are double Lucar connectors.

A valuable resource is the Holden website www.holden.co.uk. They sell a number of Lucas
Ignition switches. If you can correctly identify the switch and it's Manufacturer's number e.g 31973 you can
go to bottom of the page and click on the wiring diagram for " 31973 ". You will have to scroll down a number of pages until you find the one you're after.
By the way 31973 is listed as suitable for the Morris Minor. Check that your vehicle has not been modified with another type.
Good luck Bob
air-drescher

Post by air-drescher »

Hi Bob & Simmitc,
thanks a lot! I´ll check the exact number of the switch and look for the wiring, but I assume the other info provided will already do the trick!!
best regards from Dortmund, Germany! Stay healthy!
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Carsten
You're welcome. Safe driving Bob
janeandr

Post by janeandr »

Hi Bob & Simmitc,
thanks a lot! I´ll check the exact number of the switch and look for the wiring, but I assume the other info provided will already do the trick!!
best regards from Dortmund, Germany! Stay healthy!
Hi there air-drescher
could you provide a little update on your situation?
I’m really interested in how the thigs turned out
For some book report ideas you shoudl check out this site