Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andymoor94
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

How SHOULD the trafficators work?

Post by Andymoor94 »

Hello!

So I use the original trafficators and have no real intention of delving into installing modern indicators just yet, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around something.

I have the below dash switch on my 1954 Splitscreen 4 door. It seems that the trafficators are only up for as long as I hold the switch. No delay or anything. As soon as I let go, pop, it goes back down. Are they supposed to stay up? If so, how does it work and can I fix it?

I saw a lowlight MM Morris online today with the switch mounted to the face of the dash. That switch actually stays in position when turned, so you need to click it back into the centre to cancel. It would be really cool if I could have the same system with my switch.
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: How SHOULD the trafficators work?

Post by myoldjalopy »

The four door/traveller had an automatic switch that operated on a slow, vacuum release and over the years the switches fail to maintain the vacuum. That is your problem. The two door/convertible had switches that clicked into position and had to be turned off manually.
The switches have been overhauled by some with varying degrees of success and I posted up a link a while back of how to do this.......I'll see if I can find it.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Ah, here you go: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=71154
The link to the instructions should help, as will jagnut's illustrated account of his switch refurbishment (still haven't got round to fixing mine! :oops: )
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

There's also a video on youtube of a guy overhauling one from a '53 MG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJCUeyGVL5c

:wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

myoldjalopy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:30 am Ah, here you go: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=71154
The link to the instructions should help, as will jagnut's illustrated account of his switch refurbishment (still haven't got round to fixing mine! :oops: )
I trust Jagnut, he's helped me with a lot. Looks like a doable fix... Will have a look. If I fail, I'll remove the spring and use a sort of snap system, just like 2 doors
Eugene - My daily driver
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Andy,
I repaired the vacuum switch out of interest (and because I'm an inveterate tinkerer! One reason why I like classic cars :lol: :wink: ).
I then gave it away to someone who (I assume) wanted originality. If you are happy with it after you've repaired it, fair enough.
However the vacuum switch can be very frustrating in regular operation, so I've attached a link below to an alternative switch, similar to what I have fitted and which I find suits regular Trafficator usage better, should you end up seeking a period alternative.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-LUCA ... SwwnpeoBKo
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

jagnut66 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:12 pm Hi Andy,
I repaired the vacuum switch out of interest (and because I'm an inveterate tinkerer! One reason why I like classic cars :lol: :wink: ).
I then gave it away to someone who (I assume) wanted originality. If you are happy with it after you've repaired it, fair enough.
However the vacuum switch can be very frustrating in regular operation, so I've attached a link below to an alternative switch, similar to what I have fitted and which I find suits regular Trafficator usage better, should you end up seeking a period alternative.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-LUCA ... SwwnpeoBKo
Hi Mike,

At that price, it's very tempting! I'm also a tinkerer myself, hence my love for both Morris Minors and VeloSolex mopeds! So if I can make the original switch work, I'd like to. I've tolerated it without the vacuum for so long, I think anything is better than nothing :D
Eugene - My daily driver
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

Small update. I followed the link and found that the switch isn't anything scary or complicated at all. Genius design, yes. Rehydrated the leather with what I had, olive oil, and lined the cylinder with it too, as well as packed the leather in with a bit of paper.

Result? Working trafficator delay! For now. Going to get a more permanent solution for the leather, like the suggested silicone grease.
Attachments
20200806_191435.jpg
20200806_191435.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 3589 times
Eugene - My daily driver
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well done - result! 8)
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

myoldjalopy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:55 am Well done - result! 8)
Yes, it's very nice when a plan comes together. I'm all too familiar with taking apart a system I don't undrstand, only to never get it working again :P
Eugene - My daily driver
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Glad it’s all working. I find nobody pays attention to my indicators, let alone brake lights or trafficators! Still...love it to bits.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

MorrisJohn wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:26 pm Glad it’s all working. I find nobody pays attention to my indicators, let alone brake lights or trafficators! Still...love it to bits.
Well with a load of electrical gremlins and now a failure in the charging circuit, I've opted to get a new loom, fuse box and regulator. Will likely use that time to install indicators alongside the trafficators
Eugene - My daily driver
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

It’s your car Andy (and a distinctive one at that) but I’d keep it on original trafficators. They’re few and far between these days. I’m tempted to remove my indicators in time and retain the original trafficators, which still work. But she’s not my everyday transport. (Yet?)

Besides, half the new cars on the road don’t seem to have indicators anyway!

P.S. following your progress on Instagram as Doris :D
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

MorrisJohn wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:37 pm It’s your car Andy (and a distinctive one at that) but I’d keep it on original trafficators. They’re few and far between these days. I’m tempted to remove my indicators in time and retain the original trafficators, which still work. But she’s not my everyday transport. (Yet?)

Besides, half the new cars on the road don’t seem to have indicators anyway!

P.S. following your progress on Instagram as Doris :D
The difference here is mine is a daily driver. NOBODY sees the trafficators
Eugene - My daily driver
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Andy,
I have indicators and trafficators on mine too, on separate switches / loom sections. It's a good compromise.
The trafficators I use for local journeys, indicators for motorway / major road driving.
I highly recommend 'flashicator' led bulbs in your trafficators.

I would say it gets them noticed but then drivers of moderns seem to rely on telepathic indicators these days.......

Link to 'flashicator' LEDs below.
Sorry but I can't seem to find a link to the modern telepathic indicator system or bulbs for anyone...... :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... IAg&adurl=
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Andy
As you're heading towards the 'new loom' option, it might be worth considering an upgrade to the 61-63 (DB10) style flashing indicators, but ask to have a loom made that also includes trafficators, or just add the trafficator wiring as an extra while installing.

When I got Basil, he'd been upgraded to the DB10 style, but then had the wiring tweaked to direct the indicator output from the sidelights to separate indicators, the front sidelights having been incorporated into the headlights.
The tweaking included running a separate wire from the brake switch to the brake lights, instead of them going via the DB10.
His Trafficators were still there, just not wired up as the loom didn't include the wiring.

I've 'restored' the period effect of the flashing brake lights, whilst still having the restored trafficators. But I have wired the trafficators via relays so they are a selectable option.

I posted some details here a few months ago: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=72067&hilit=traffi ... 90#p654490
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

it might be worth considering an upgrade to the 61-63 (DB10) style flashing indicators
Hi Berni,
By 'DB10 style' do you mean the later indicator / sidelight (all in one) units?
Because if Andy fits those he will need to enlarge the hole in his front panel and will loose the original 'look' he has at present, which I thought he wanted to retain.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:26 pm
it might be worth considering an upgrade to the 61-63 (DB10) style flashing indicators
Hi Berni,
By 'DB10 style' do you mean the later indicator / sidelight (all in one) units?
Because if Andy fits those he will need to enlarge the hole in his front panel and will loose the original 'look' he has at present, which I thought he wanted to retain.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
Mike
See the Potteries site for illustrations. http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/ID/Lights.htm
The actual DB10 style, ('61-'63) used the L488 instead of the L489 which is what was done to Basil, but you can get Amber 21W lamps to fit the L489, see here for example https://www.amazon.com/Light-Signal-Bli ... B0052EG0XU

I see Eugene has the L489s inside the Hockey sticks, rather than outside, but I'm guessing the holes for L488 and L489 are the same.
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Ahhh, I see. Useful link that.
No great visual change at all then, nor, as you said, any need to go round enlarging holes.
Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks Berni, a very useful link. And a subtle change that I had forgotten about.
So no need for enlarging holes or other obvious alterations then, as this upgrade can be achieved without them....
Best wishes,
Mike.