Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Time traveller
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Floor dip switch

Post by Time traveller »

Hi all, I am a new member and have just bought a my first classic car, which is a 1968 traveller. So please be gentle with me. I had an evening drive and found the floor dip switch very awkward to use. Is it a straight forward job to change this to a hand operated one. If you can give me advise or point me in the right direction to how to do it page I would be so grateful. Thank you all for your time, happy driving Paul.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Floor dip switch

Post by RobThomas »

Unscrew the dip switch from the floor, remove the 3 wires (noting position and colour), screw dipswitch to bottom of dashboard in comfortable position and then run new wires of suitable thickness from original position to the new position. You will need 3 long wires, 6 "Bullet connectors" and some bullets.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw= ... eName=GSTL
Cardiff, UK
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Is the wiring for your dip switch on the inside?
My SII has it running in the engine bay and connected from the outside.
If all your wiring is on the inside, then it's simply a case of extending the wiring to go to wherever you want to mount a switch, as described by Rob.
I would use the correct colour cables to maintain the colour codes.
Somewhere like this sells cabling by the mtr (other sellers are available) https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk ... -pvc-cable

If you've only been for one drive, I would give it a bit more time to get used to it.
Sit in the car and have a few moments practice.
Using the Floor Switch could be easier than fumbling around 'in the dark' trying to locate a switch you've put 'up top' somewhere.

Was it just the fact that you're not used to it that made it 'very awkward' or was it stiff to operate.?
The switch should be easy to use, but if it's stiff, it might need replacing, or taking apart and cleaning.
I overhauled mine but I believe your switch is of a slightly different design:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=71829&hilit=dip+switch
Basil the 1955 series II

Time traveller
Minor Friendly

Post by Time traveller »

Thank you for the replies, I have driven quite a bit in the evening but I have large feet and the floor switch is proving to be a safety issue getting my foot stuck. I can do the wiring but can anyone give me advise. Is there a stalk switch that I can use that fits in with my 1968 traveller. Thank you, Paul.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Assuming that you have a reasonably standard car and lights, then your new switch will need to cope with 2 x 60w @ 12v = 10 amp, so go for at least a 15 amp rating. You can buy toggle switches such as these: https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk ... r-switches and mount either in the dashboard or on a bracket below it. You need to look for a changeover or "on-on" version.

A second option would be to use a changeover relay which would then need only a simple on-off switch on the dashboard, and that could be a push button. I quite like this approach as the switch is lighter duty and could look very neat; but it does require a little more wiring.

Third option is to use a column mounted switch combining indicators, horn, dip and flash. It's a more modern approach, but you would probably need to modify the steering column outer tube to accept the new switch, and then not have a cover. If you are prepared to accept seeing the switch behind the wheel, then some Land Rover or Mini switches work very well. The stalk might be slightly shorter than ideal, but it's a mod that had been done to numerous vehicle and works well. Look for genuine parts, avoid the cheap fleabay import stuff, the plastic breaks and the contacts burn out.

Or, of course, as suggested earlier, move the existing switch to where you can press it with your hand. Whatever works best for you is the rule.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

As simmitc says
simmitc wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:02 am You need to look for a changeover or "on-on" version.
The internals of the Dip Switch are configured such that the changeover from Dip to Full is immediate, in fact the other may even come on a moment before the previous setting is disconnected. You can't have any delay such that the headlights momentarily go off in between selections.
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Or "Make-before-break". I'd agree with you. However, that got me thinking, and having just observed the operation of several column mounted types, they are operating clearly as break-before-make, but it can be seen only with an old fashioned Avo where the needle dips at changeover, a digital meter does not react quickly enough :-? In practice, I think that a relay is going to be close to instant, and the just switched off filament will probably still be glowing at the time that the new one warms up. Now all I need is an expensive slo-mo camera to test that theory....
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:54 am Or "Make-before-break". I'd agree with you. However, that got me thinking, and having just observed the operation of several column mounted types, they are operating clearly as break-before-make, but it can be seen only with an old fashioned Avo where the needle dips at changeover, a digital meter does not react quickly enough :-? In practice, I think that a relay is going to be close to instant, and the just switched off filament will probably still be glowing at the time that the new one warms up. Now all I need is an expensive slo-mo camera to test that theory....
Oh simmitc, you're bringing back so many memories of my earlier 'hands-on' years as an aircraft electrician, fixing some unusual faults due to circuits being designed with less common switches, such as 'make-before-break'....

With a lot of modern cars, the Dip Lights remain on when the Full Beam switch on and off.
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

With a lot of modern cars, the Dip Lights remain on when the Full Beam switch on and off.
Indeed, and I seem to recall a discussion on doing that with a Minor, and our advice that the light units were not designed to cope with the heat dissipation, plus the wiring and switches might need upgrading. That could lead us to LEDs as an option to reduce load... :wink:
Time traveller
Minor Friendly

Post by Time traveller »

Hi, thank you to everyone who replied, I am trying to get used to the dip switch on the floor ( practicing on the drive) so hopefully can leave it where it should be. Thank you all, Paul.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Time traveller wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:15 pm Hi, thank you to everyone who replied, I am trying to get used to the dip switch on the floor ( practicing on the drive) so hopefully can leave it where it should be. Thank you all, Paul.
Ideal. That is the best way.