Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Electrical Gremlins become too often

Post by myoldjalopy »

les wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:28 pm [quote= "Sold it when I got married - biggest mistake I ever made."
Getting married or selling the car? :o
[/quote]
Dunno, Les. I didn't dare ask! :o
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Autosparks have upwards of a 12-week wait presently. I ordered an overdrive harness in early July and am still waiting. So won't have a new loom any time soon.
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

Alrighty so, I've had talks with all parties involved in my current financial... Crisis? Maybe not the word? Long story short, funds are low because I decided to dive head first in tackling my outstanding debt, to get it sorted by 2022. Hence why funds are low.

Mike, totally right about the costs of the Audi. I thought those costs would be outweighed by having a car again, but I can't justify it!

So I've sat down and had a talk with my better half who's calmed me down a bit, help relieve the stress of current events and of course, my poor Eugene!

I'll be talking to my friend who's selling the Audi, who I know will completely understand. The money would be much better used on Eugene.

But it's on now. I'm going for the electrics. Wiring loom and fuse box to say the least, with the potential of an alternator since I'm already doing the electrics. Should allow me to upgrade headlights and of course add creature comforts in the future. A few new smaller bits too, stop light switch, headlight switch, both of which are looking very tired. Lots of connectors, spades, etc.

Since Eugene is going to be laid up for a short spell, I'm also going to refurb some other bits. Things like undersealing, treating the springs to love, fluid flushes and regreasing all round.
New oil pressure line too, since that's leaking a lot.

It's all or nothing now. I'll do it small bits at a time, so not to overwhelm myself, but the aim will be to have Eugene become very reliable by the end of it.

What other reliability upgrades would be worth doing?
Last edited by Andymoor94 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Glad you’ve now got a plan, looks like your present list of things to do would be enough for now. Worry about other improvements later, you’re in danger of getting overwhelmed.

Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

les wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:11 pm Glad you’ve now got a plan, looks like your present list of things to do would be enough for now. Worry about other improvements later, you’re in danger of getting overwhelmed.
Thanks Les, I'm happy to go with that!

Weird thing, I had to reply to this from page 1 because the page with your comment won't load
Eugene - My daily driver
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Weird thing, I had to reply to this from page 1 because the page with your comment won't load
I've had some issues with this site loading and changing pages today too, even got an error message once and thought the site had gone down again......
Hopefully once done Eugene will end up more reliable than this site is. :wink:
Les is right, tackle one thing at a time get that working / set up properly and then move onto the next.
Hopefully all this will help boost your confidence, as well as your knowledge.
Good luck and don't forget to keep us posted.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

There were defiinitely site problems on Sunday. I advised Mike, it seems OK now, but I haven't heard what the problem was.
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

Eugene is now tucked away. My boss has given me a portion of the warehouse to use as a workshop for the electrical work (he doesn't want me flushing fluids or anything messy). Loom and extra bits to be ordered soon, then once all is running, he's back home in the garage for more work!
Attachments
20200818_080447.jpg
20200818_080447.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 2266 times
Eugene - My daily driver
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

So a little update! After deciding against the loom, I've opted to try and fix Eugene with my bare hands, until I can afford the luxury of replacing expensive parts.

I did a lot of research and found myself soon enough, learning my way around the control box. Seems so simple now!

I started the engine, light on the dash wasn't going away, so I headed into the bay to watch the regulator. On throttle, nothing! But I pulled the cable coming from the D terminal on the dynamo and gave the engine some throttle. Would you know it, the regulator contact closed!

Took the dynamo out, took the commutator off and would you look at that - A broken brush!!

New brush is on its way and fingers crossed, I'll have my Eugene back up and roadworthy!

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean I'm out of the thick of it... He's still on the market :cry:

EDIT: "Dash on the light" not an accurate account of what happened, so changed that grammar :lol:
Eugene - My daily driver
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If you don’t intend fitting the loom, you could possibly get a refund from the supplier.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Or work the price into the sale....but that means stating it needs a new loom when you try and sell the car. I'm still not sure it 'needs' a new loom but from a distance I can't know......
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

myoldjalopy wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:35 pm Or work the price into the sale....but that means stating it needs a new loom when you try and sell the car. I'm still not sure it 'needs' a new loom but from a distance I can't know......
A new loom wouldn't fix the problems that it has, but would be a good idea to prevent future problems. Right now, he's fine with his original :D
Eugene - My daily driver
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Oh I thought you’d already bought the loom.

Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

les wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:18 pm Oh I thought you’d already bought the loom.
Might have been the way I said - Was definitely intending to, even got to the checkout page!

It's worth saying, this has been an emotional and financial roller coaster for me. So don't believe me when I say I'm selling Eugene, but also don't believe me when I say I'm not selling Eugene
Eugene - My daily driver
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

This thread is confusing me, earlier in the month you did say He (meaning your car) has got a loom to go with him to a new owner. That’s what prompted my suggestion that you might get a refund on the loom. Apparently there is no loom. The plot thickens :D

Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

les wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:05 pm This thread is confusing me, earlier in the month you did say He (meaning your car) has got a loom to go with him to a new owner. That’s what prompted my suggestion that you might get a refund on the loom. Apparently there is no loom. The plot thickens :D
Yes, that was a blatant lie! At that moment I was adamant that I was buying a loom, enough to say I've already bought it :lol: I won't understand how my mind works!
Eugene - My daily driver
jeff-d
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by jeff-d »

hi Andy i am going to rewire my 59 minor but i am not going to buy a loom i bought one of them when i rewired a beetle not one bit of instructions with it so this time i am going to make my own as long as you have the colours and wire sizes and your old loom, it may take a bit longer to do but as you are buying a car you will have the time to do it and a lot cheaper, when i took out the old loom the back lights etc ran under the car i am going to change that and run the wiring inside the car and also i can add on new cable for a cigarette lighter etc cheers jeff-d
Matt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Matt »

If you are methodical its not hard to put a new wiring loom in.

I restored a sprite a few years ago and entrusted the loom install to a friend, who I was confident knew what he was doing, because I didn't have the time. Needless to say that didn't work out too well, various things didn't work properly, wires were added etc and ultimately there were some flames (which fortunately got put out before damage was done).

I took the whole loom out, repaired all the damage and put it back in properly and all has been fine since. Its just a case of getting the loom installed, then matching the wires up with what goes where. They go to roughly the right place anyway so it doesn't take that long to work it out!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

Matt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:40 am If you are methodical its not hard to put a new wiring loom in.

I restored a sprite a few years ago and entrusted the loom install to a friend, who I was confident knew what he was doing, because I didn't have the time. Needless to say that didn't work out too well, various things didn't work properly, wires were added etc and ultimately there were some flames (which fortunately got put out before damage was done).

I took the whole loom out, repaired all the damage and put it back in properly and all has been fine since. Its just a case of getting the loom installed, then matching the wires up with what goes where. They go to roughly the right place anyway so it doesn't take that long to work it out!
Given that I now have a second car to get me around, I now have no problem, with guidance, in replacing the wires sequentially. The new loom sounds like it could be the easier option, or be a nuisance if I have wires that don't match up. I've got someone in the family who is somewhat of an automotive electrical hobbyist. He may be able to help out
Eugene - My daily driver