Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
blue_cortina
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Preferred Radio location on 1970 Minor

Post by blue_cortina »

Preferred Radio location on 1970 Minor

Hi - Could you share photos of where you have put your radios - wondering what the best location is - Also speaker positions would be useful :D
Helping my son with his Morris Minor 1970 Panda Car Replica (both club members)
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Re: Preferred Radio location on 1970 Minor

Post by Murrayminor »

My 1965 Minor had a really badly butchered hole on the rear shelf where someone had obviously had a speaker, although there were speaker wires for two speakers.
As for radio location I have seen some very nice set ups where the radio is installed in the glove compartment using a modern system but out of sight once the lid is closed.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I understand that Issigonis believed that radios were a distraction and so did not design any accommodation for them. As above, glove box will conceal an attractive unit, but a favourite place is under the dashboard. If for driver operation, then to the right of the steering column, but be aware of needing to access the bonnet release pull; otherwise on the passenger side. Do not mount under the parcel shelf - in the event of an accident, a radio unit under the shelf could cause serious leg injuries.

If you look behind the side trim panels in either front footwell, then you will find a hollow. These allow 3 or 4 inch flush speakers to be set in the trim panel. Other than that, on the rear parcel shelf for pod type speakers can use the boot to give a good base response.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

My concern regarding a car radio is the mounting of the aerial. The fewer holes in my Moggie the better 😀
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

My concern regarding a car radio is the mounting of the aerial. The fewer holes in my Moggie the better
I too share your concern about drilling holes in otherwise perfectly good metalwork. One day I might pluck up courage to have a roof aerial fitted, which I think looks good for a start but also is the best place for radio reception.

In the meantime, when I fitted my radio last year (under the parcel shelf on the nearside!!) I opted for one of these:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retrosound-U ... 2749.l2649

Not the cheapest by any means - you can get them for well under a fiver, delivered from China! - but I didn't want to risk anything made out of cream cheese and chocolate :D .

I mounted it on the REAR window as there was plenty of cable to thread under the carpets and up behind the parcel shelf (which you may not get with a chocolate one!). It does require a live feed of course to power it up, which I did from a permanent live switched feed direct from the fuse box so that I can listen to the radio or cassette tape without the ignition having to be 'on'. Without the aerial being switch on the reception is just about audible but as soon as I flick the switch it becomes loud and crystal clear. On the move, reception can be a bit 'flaky' at times but overall I'm very satisfied with it.
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

Get a bluetooth head unit (chinese ones start around £15) then tune into the radio over the internet, no need for an aeriel

This is the one we have.
rps20190718_180009.jpg
rps20190718_180009.jpg (68.97 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Works suprisingly well for £15.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

That's pretty neat!
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

The sound quality isn't perfect but I fitted a Bluetooth amplifier under the passenger seat. Can stream music from phone to the car speakers that are in the front foot well panels. All is pretty much hidden away and invisible without looking closely.

The reviewer seems to have had much more trouble than me getting it working but instructions do leave something to be desired. The suggested cabling for power would have handled about 100 Amps which was clearly far too big, which the manufacturer confirmed when I emailed them.

https://www.adamrayner.net/caliber-ca75 ... amplifier/
blue_cortina
Minor Friendly

Post by blue_cortina »

Thanks for the ideas - went for under dash in the end - See attached photo
Attachments
IMG_20200905_110848.jpg
IMG_20200905_110848.jpg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 1296 times
Helping my son with his Morris Minor 1970 Panda Car Replica (both club members)