Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Shine a (dimmed) Light

Post by kennatt »

The main is working because the separate wiring is connected to both sides. and confirms an earth to that side.The dip wiring is separate ,a simple touch with the positive to the dip wire will confirm or not connectivity from that bullet connector to the bulb .Its the simplest and easiest way.It eliminates the need to be looking any further .99% that it is corrosion in the one of the bullets .
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

I basically said all that on Saturday...... :roll:
geoberni wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:42 pm Well simple answer is that if it's working on the Drivers side and not the Passenger side, there's a very limited number of connections and things to check. Like 2 of them.

Have you swapped the bulbs over to make sure it's not the bulb?

Quite literally there is the Snap Connector where it splits to go to the passenger side and the one on the passenger side to connect the lamp.
The earth must be OK because the main beam is working.
So I'm just going to wait until Simon comes back.....
Basil the 1955 series II

simonswaffield
Minor Friendly

Post by simonswaffield »

Pax!

Glad tidings to all members and certainly to me for all this excellent advice. Perhaps I can calm things down a little and update in time for the next bout :)

1. This is not the car with the infuriating indicator - gone to a good home - I fancied a challenge ! (famous last words)
2. I have a multimeter and I'm not afraid to use it - so stand well back !!
3. I live in Brixham - local help welcomed with open arms
4. Bulb and high beam are fine
5. Wiring looks OK and I've changed all the connectors to nice shiny new ones just in case
6. Love you all to bits but I'm now totally confused by the lashings of advice
7. If anyone has any simple ideas (I'm a simple man) please let me know
8. Mr Jowett Sir, I was nearly there with your suggestion but the wiring looks OK

I have abandoned the candle idea - I will sing sea shanties when it's dusk to alert oncoming traffic
simonswaffield
Minor Friendly

Post by simonswaffield »

Sorry!

Mr Geoberni, the side lights flash as indicators
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Hi Simon
Thanks for coming back.
I sent you a Private Message (PM), but you need to be logged in and then go to the 'Private Message' link at the top of the screen to pick it up.

Several posts back, the same one as where I asked about the car year, I asked if you could confirm the colours you were dealing with because you said you were dealing with solid colours Blue, Red & Black, but the Main and Dip are twin colour cables.
The Side Light supply is Red
The Main Beam is Blue/White
The Dip beam is Blue/Red
Earth is Black

When you said you have
Just sorted out the connections, reflectors, bulbs etc..
I don't suppose you have inadvertently used a twin barrel insulated Snap Connector at Point A on the diagram below, instead of one that connects all 4 cable entries together?
You said you changed all the connectors, are they solder or crimp? Could you have forgotten to bare the cable at a bullet and have crimped onto the insulation in error (stranger things have happened, believe me).

But leaving that aside for a moment, this is the diagram for the 56-63 Flashing Indicator wiring standard (Fig N29)
Headlight check.jpg
Headlight check.jpg (250.45 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
The basics of fault finding with a meter is to work in halves on the circuit, you said the RH Dip Beam works fine so at this moment, we will assume Point A is good for a supply. The green line being your working Driver's side Dip Beam.
1- Turn the lights onto Dip Beam
2 - Using your multimeter, set on DC Volts, connected with the Black cable to a confirmed Earth (Battery -ve perhaps) use the Red Probe to check for 11+ volts at the Snap connector B (Passenger side, with Blue/Red wires).
If there's no Voltage there, the fault is between Connectors B and back to A. This is a single length of cable with a connector bullet on each end so shouldn't be hard to find a break or bad connection.
However, if there is voltage there...the fault lies between B and Earth.
Disconnect the incoming bullet from the 2Way Connector B.
Switch the Multimeter to Ohms and leaving the Black on the Earth, check the resistance from the point where you just removed the cable. The reading should only be a few ohms, the value of the filament in the lamp; if it's high, the fault is probably the bulb holder or a connection in that short section of the wiring, because you said the bulb has been changed and that the high beam works (so the earth connection should be fine).

That took longer to write than it would to do it. :lol: I hope you can follow it.
I've tried to explain it in greatest detail, even if some might think it too obvious, but you never know who might read it in the future.

let us all know how you get on.
Berni
Basil the 1955 series II

simonswaffield
Minor Friendly

Post by simonswaffield »

Geoberni Sir,

You are a gem. That was a case study in clarity.

Thank you doesn't go near it, not least because I don't know any sea shanties!

While I'm about it, a thank you to all the other members who took the time to share their knowledge - keep it up chaps, you have no idea how helpful it is for those of us suffering from vertigo on the learning curve!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Simon
Where are you at with this problem?
Did you sort it out?
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simonswaffield wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:57 pm
Any update?

You still have a PM to pick up from Dec 20, 2020.
Basil the 1955 series II

Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

geoberni wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:28 pm
simonswaffield wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:57 pm
Any update?

You still have a PM to pick up from Dec 20, 2020.
Hi all. Are there any updates to this post?
Thanks all.👍 Jonnie.
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone