Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ronnie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Front lights

Post by ronnie »

Hi. Problem started with offside front headlamp working perfect but the near side shining very poorly. Took it to be a bad connection. Removed light cleaned all connections and the lamp was as bright as the offside. Put it back together and the light went back to being very poor but to add to the problem all the side lights don’t work now. Grateful for any advice.
MCYorks
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Front lights

Post by MCYorks »

Hi,
If all the side lights aren't working, first thing I would check is the in-line fuse by the regulator (if fitted). The dim headlamp could well be a bad earth. Have you checked the earth connection to the inner wing and the connector on the back of the headlamp?
ronnie
Minor Fan

Post by ronnie »

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I haven’t checked these connections. So ones on the back of the metal cone and ones on to the inner wing. There is an inline fuse at the regulator I’ll check that.
ronnie
Minor Fan

Post by ronnie »

Hi. As you said bad earth connection on inner wing. There is an inline fuse at the regulator. There’s a 35 amp fuse in it , surely this can’t be right ?? Thanks for the help
MCYorks
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by MCYorks »

Hi,
No problem you're welcome. Glad that's sorted it out.
My Haynes manual shows the in-line fuse as 10 amps, because it only protects the sidelight circuit and speedometer illumination lamps. Someone has probably changed the fuse in the past and didn't have the correct rating to hand. Only the two fuses in the fuse box are rated at 35 amp blow.
ronnie
Minor Fan

Post by ronnie »

Great thanks again