Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Electronic ignition worthwhile?

Post by James k »

It's worth noting, of course, that you can carry a spare electronic unit and replace it if it fails, in the same time it would take to change the points and condenser.

I'm a huge luddite by most people's standards, I drive a Morris Minor for a start! I'm not into heavily modified Minors but I have a few basic modifications that, to me at least, substantially improve the car. They could all be put back to stock easily if someone ever wanted to. I've fitted electronic ignition and a 45d distributor, alternator, halogen headlights, duplex timing chain, spin-on oil filter and Mini inlet valve guides with the top-hat seals. That's it, off the top of my head.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Electronic ignition worthwhile?

Post by oliver90owner »

Hi James,

Likely fitted with radial tyres, too? OK, I note that even BL fitted radials on later models, rather than stick with out-dated cross-plies (with definite inferior characteristics. Went tubeless too.🙂

I wonder how many still fit flooded lead acid batteries? Many fit AGM or VRLA types, so maintenance-free.

If trafficators were so good, I wonder why they later fitted flasher units?

Doubtless Morris or BL changed the types of lubricants, to longer lasting, more efficient types.

Fitting a OHV engine was a plus, too. Moving away from spun-in con rod bearings, to precision shell bearings must have been a real wrench for those engineers who designed the car.🙂

Wow, they even fitted larger brakes, too! Changed the gearbox design, as well? Gadzooks, fuel grade and quality has improved, too. No need to mention others, like elastomeric polymer suspension bushes, laminated windscreens and likely lots of other improvements that should be shunned by those who want to keep their car ‘original’. Some heretics even replace the wheels for alloys without dust covers.

Yet here we have some still swearing by the Kettering ignition system - even though they have carbon fibre plug leads sheathed in silicone insulation (rather than copper in rubber) and suppressor plug caps (and still they buy cheap, inferior chinese or indian manufactured coils).

Enjoy your car. Even with an electronic ignition module, I’m sure the car can be repaired quite easily by a shade tree mechanic, given the correct spare part is sourced.