Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mechanix
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Weatherproof electrical connections

Post by mechanix »

The bullet electrical connectors in my Morris keep corroding and cause problems in the light circuits. It's very inconvenient because problems tend to occur when I need the car most, and it means that I have to repair the same things over again. Does anyone have any ideas about preventing this? Is it possible to obtain better quality connectors that don't corrode from somewhere?
Willie
Minor Legend

connectors

Post by Willie »

Strange....I cleaned mine nine years ago and have had no trouble
since, but they are a usual source of trouble at some time in their
lives that's for sure. The problem is that they are all junctions which
have to be disconnected at some time so using the modern 'crimp'
type quick connectors is not really suitable. I would favour cleaniing
them up and when reassembled I would paint the ends of each
joint with Waxoyl...this will prevent the entry of damp.
Failing that you could try the 'chocolate strip' (plastic blocks with
screw connections) but they would not look very elegant.
Willie
mechanix
Minor Friendly

Post by mechanix »

Thanks for the idea, my car lives outside and around where I have been driving, it's been partcularly damp. I think this might have given the electrics a soaking and then no chance to dry off. Problems are in the wires inside the front wheelarches.

The Waxoyl idea sounds preferable to the screw connectors, I can quickly disassemble bullet connections at the side of the road. I'd be interested in hearing about a water-proof connection if one exists.
Willie
Minor Legend

connectors

Post by Willie »

Now that IS your problem. The front wheel arches should
NOT contain any 'bullet' connectors! The wires from the front
side and headlights should be long enough to pass through the holes
in the inner wings into the engine compartment. the bunch of
connectors should be found at the front(radiator end) of the engine
bay on the left and right!! They are not sprayed with water there.
Willie
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I second that one!!
On modern cars with 'waterproof connectors' (eg IP65 etc.. blah blah) it is still avoided at all cost to stick them near a wheel-splash area.
When you drive through a 2" puddle on a main road, most areas in direct line from the base of the wheel get the equivalent of a high pressure fire hose...
If they won't reach to the engine bay, I'd recommend that you get a new sub-loom from the lights so they will reach.
Waterproof connectors rely on cable seals and also seals between the male and female part of the connector housing. Due to the requirement of sizing the correct cable seal and also due to the special tool to crimp the terminal (otherwise it doesn't fit in the housing) they are not sold at Halfords etc... and tend only to be used on production lines.

However if by 'inside the front wheelarches' you meant inside the engine bay, then we've gone astray in the replys:

I personally wouldn't use the 'chocolate strip' because theyare rather unsightly and even less easy to play with on a dark night at the side of a wet and windy country road, and still give poor protection against corrosion.
Is the wiring corroded at the bullet corroded? If so, chop of a little bit of wire and replace the bullet.
Are the bullets very tight in the connector tube (it should take a little struggle to get them in/out)? If not then replace the connector tubes.
Then when they are sound, waxoyly to keep further water out is the best thing for them.
Failing that, use a load of insulation tape from 3" either side of the connector.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
mechanix
Minor Friendly

Post by mechanix »

Sorry to have caused some confusion, I meant in the engine bay next to the wheelarches.

I think I'll go with the waxoyle idea, and I'll also tape the connections up. The bullets are very stiff, (sometimes I need pliers to undo them) but I reckon this is due to the corrosion binding the contacts together, after gentle sanding the bullet and inside the tube they are less stiff but still "a little struggle" to disassemble.

Some day I'll get a load of new ones and replace the lot. Out of interest what materials work best for the connections? I've seen aluminium bullets for sale in some kits, are they any good?
Willie
Minor Legend

connectors

Post by Willie »

I wouldn't think the aluminium ones are especially long lived as
they would still be in contact with the steel tubes, a recipe for
chemical reactions. I cannot understand how the joints get
wet if they are in the correct location. I prefer steel because I
like to solder all my bullets during the rebuild, perhaps it is the
layer of solder which prolongs their life.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
mechanix
Minor Friendly

Post by mechanix »

Thanks for the advice, mabey staying original really is best. I might try cutting off all the bullets which cause problems and soldering on new steel ones. If the bullet receives a coating of solder all over, and the solder protects the bullet, I might solve the problem. I suppose if problems persist I could just solder the joints together and tape them up.

As for the damp, I think that is a function of where the car was kept. Some of the days this winter have been so cold and misty that everything outside was covered in a layer of water, condensation was around for days, and I suppose it settled on the wires too. Though it's strange how I've only had problems with the lights .