Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mick_Anik
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Always weld in a logical fashion!

Post by Mick_Anik »

I thought I'd put something in about welding - I've come to see it as high art, for many reasons.

It makes great demands on the body, as does ballet. It requires a good eye, as does painting. It entails a beginning, a middle and an end, as does a piece of music or a book.

And it requires patience, concentration and great care, as does surgery.

And a LOT of thinking, as does life.

For instance, if you plan to carry out extensive welding on floors and sills and main chassis parts, leave the doors on!!!! Get them to fit as well as you can as a first step - cars can bend once you start removing metal, and the doors give you a great reference point. Check frequently how they close - any change is a sign that something has moved. Have several jacks to hand.....experiment with jacking up in different places until both doors again close well.

It's a good idea to leave the bonnet and boot lid on as well, measuring the gaps in many places and noting them down. Take photographs - they don't cost anything these days!

Watch out for the rear spring hanger holes, the ones right at the back of the car. Rig something up which ensures they remain in line........a snugly-fitting long steel tube pushed through them will help. Don't forget - if you are welding, you can rig up anything!

I'm not pedantic with my Moggies - I don't buy original body panels, rather I fabricate them from sheet steel. The curved front inner wings can be made in three pieces, and nobody would ever know the difference if it's done well.
It's easy to make a metal bender, and it's good fun learning about the 'banana' effect when you bend long lengths! This is easily rectified with an anvil and hammer. I think the fabrication of the panels is the best part - takes a while, but the moment comes when you know the piece is finally ready.
If you ever think "Oh, that'll do, I've had enough", you will suffer later during the welding.

Every time! There are no shortcuts.