Freeing up stuck fuel gauge sending unit.

Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
katy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by katy »

While getting ready to put a new fuel tank in our '61 MM, I removed the sending unit from the old tank and found that the float arm was stuck in the down position. The float arm is fastened to a small stainless steel shaft that goes into the aluminum body. So I put some penetrating oil on it and gently forced it to swivel. I could get it to reluctantly swivel through it's full range of travel but it wouldn't move effortlessly as it should. I tried different remedies on the shaft without success.
I then took the 4 small screws out and removed the small cover from the top of the unit. Looking down inside I could see where the shaft went through.
The outside of the aluminum body was covered with a good coating of corrosion (aluminum rust?) so I surmised that that's probably what's applying the brakes to the shaft, so with some wishfull thinking I put a small amount of pickling vinegar (7% acetic acid) down in the bottom of the housing, just enough to cover the shaft.
It didn't take much persuation to get the float arm and shaft to work smoothly and easily after that.
I then poured the vinegar out, flushed it 3 or 4 times with tap water, then a few more times with distilled water, gave it a blow job with low pressure compressed air and put it out in the sun for a few hours to dry.
24 hours later it's still swivels nicely, but not too loose.
Good old VINEGAR, that's what did the trick, so it's not just for chips.
Just thought I'd pass this along, for what it's worth. :D :D
Talk slow, think fast!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Sending units have all the fun :) .
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Marky B wrote Sending units have all the fun

Naughty - Naughty

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I'm sorry, honest. The devil made me do it.:oops:
My first thought was <faint>.
Would that have been any better?