Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mick_Anik
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Stripping a Moggie for restoration.

Post by Mick_Anik »

If you are going down this road, do take the time to pack and label all the nuts, bolts screws and washers from the components when you dismantle all the bits. You know, old ice cream tubs and yoghurt pots etc.

I just thought I'd make the point as I got into a heck of a mess doing two Moggies. It was cold, I was tired, and I was just throwing everything into plastic boxes. When it came to putting everything back together, I had to spend a lot of time finding all the bits.

As I approached the end of the re-assembly of the second car, I spent more time looking for bits than I did working. It was grim, I can tell you.

beechford
Minor Fan

Post by beechford »

thats when a digital camera is handy
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Buy a roll of fridge/freezer bags (they have a place you can write whats inside) this really helps when re-assembling :wink: We did this with the bolts/nuts/screws etc and bought larger bags for the smaller chrome items - handles/door pulls etc. Coloured crates (make sure they stack to save space) for the larger items help keep things clean and can be moved easily.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

And don't do what I did! Bought new items 'tucked them away' - forgot I had them - and bought another lot!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I think we've all done that - never mind you can put them on the next car........... :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I've started to try and minimise the number of places there are bits for the Morris.
Between the house, the garage and the shed there were bits everywhere.

Some bits amount to stand alone projects, but others are ready to be fitted when needed.

Then there are bits that I've collected over the years, like an oil cooler, spot lights and a battery condition meter that I doubt I'll ever fit.