Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Surfmogger
MMOC Member: No

Bodywork cleaning advice.

Post by Surfmogger »

Hi all,

I have just purchased my first Traveller, whose previous owner obviously took great care to maintain. However, it has been garaged since 2007 and a thick layer of 'crud'; dust, spider droppings, more dirt and damp, lies across the whole bodywork and glass. Some of the fittings have rust speckles.

This weekend I'll be taking warm soapy water to the whole lot, as well as having a go at brushing out the spider nests (ew...)

My question is, no matter how careful I am, I am expecting small scouring from the muck clearing and was wondering which is the best wax (for a H-reg, navy blue mog) to immediately protect with?

Many thanks, Shane
No Mog experience... does it show? ;)
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Re: Bodywork cleaning advice.

Post by ASL642 »

If you have access to a tap use a hose and gently play water over the car to remove loose dirt. This way it won't get worked into the paint. Then give it a good wash with car shampoo and water. If the paint is dull use a small amount of Tcut on a damp cloth. Wash this off. Give the paint a good wax polish to bring up the shine. I use McGuires for darker colours. The upholstery can be cleaned using something like washing up liquid and water (not for leather of course) I use diluted Mr Muscle on any muckier spots. Vacuum carpets, if they're really bad a scrubbing brush and carpet shampoo. I use Autosol metal polish on any chrome this removes any rust spots without removing the chrome. Clean the glass using soap/water and dry using a chammy leather.

Wipe seats belts down with upholstery cleaner as well to freshen them. If you have a garage put the car in but remember to leave windows open to air/dry out any upholstery.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Surfmogger

Post by Surfmogger »

Thanks for all that advice, mate- I'll be off to Halfords later ;)

I'll post some before and after photo's too.

S
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I do this for cleaning the bodywork of a Minor:-

1) Hose down the whole car.
2) Wash with warm water and car shampoo.
3) If the car was REALLY dirty/neglected, go over the whole car with a clay bar (follow the instructions on the box)
4) Use a polishing compound, I used to use T-cut but a compound such as Autoglym paint renovator is very good. (To speed things up, you can use a polishing machine)
5) Buff off the body- it should now have a deep shine, if not repeat step 4)
6) Now time to protect the paintwork- if the car has not been washed for a long while I'd use a glaze as the first layer, then buff it off with a microfibre or polishing rag, then finally apply a pure Carnauba wax. It does not matter which brand you use, but I use the Frost "Blitz" wax which seems to hold its shine for a good few months. Buff off to a deep shine
7) stand back and admire the results!

The above will be a hard days work if you have done it all thoroughly, but worth it to preserve and protect your car.

Re- wax every three months after washing.
The advantage of using a pure Carnauba wax rather than a car wax/polish is that you are not removing a layer of paint each time you wax the car.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Surfmogger

Post by Surfmogger »

Thanks John,

'ppreciate the advice :)
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Useful tips, or a general discussion?
pyebibby
Minor Fan

Post by pyebibby »

simmitc wrote:Useful tips, or a general discussion?
Both!

18 year old Morris Driver