Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
IanC
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

air compressor

Post by IanC »

Hi can anyone recommend an air compressor?

I would like to get one capable of running a cutter, spray can and ratchet gun if possible.

Ian

AOW68K 1971 van undergoing restoration
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: air compressor

Post by simmitc »

Choosing the correct size compressor can be a very complicated science, but for simple home use you need to consider:
1) Up to 3 hp motor can run from a single phase domestic supply, preferably 30amp (like a cooker circuit, but for domestic harmony, don't bring the workshop into the kitchen). For 13 amp sockets you're best to limit yourself to 2.5 hp.
2) Within the above limit, the bigger the better.
3) Watch out for compressor ratings. They will frequently be sold as, for example, 10 cfm Displacement, which sounds good, but provides only about 5.4 cfm Free Air Delivery (this would be typically a 2 hp motor). FAD is what you need to run the tools.
4) Check the consumption quoted for the tool. It's no good trying to run an 8 CFM consumption if you can only supply 4 CFM FAD.
5) A large receiver (tank) will help to balance loadings - with a good reservoir of air, you can run a high consumption tool for short periods. 10, 15, and 25 litre are probably all a bit small. For heavy air consumption try for a 50 or 60 litre tank, although 25 may suffice.
You should expect the compressor to run intermittently as you draw air, it's not usual to run continuously.
6) Compressors are heavy. If you want to move it around then look for one with wheels.
7) Don't forget regulators, filters, couplings, oil and oilers, lines, etc. Many compressors come with at least some of these, but you need to check and allow for them in your costings.

Lastly, no offence, but this is really a question rather than a useful tip, so don't be surprised if a mod moves the post.
IanC
Minor Fan

Post by IanC »

Thank Simmtic,

When I asked in the local tool suppliers I could see the guy was just trying to sell the most expensive unit as all he kept telling me was that the tank had to be as large as possible. Didn't mention anything about FAD numbers either.

No offence taken, I was at a bit of a loss as to where this should go but thought if I got an answer it might act as a tip for someone else later.

Ian

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I bought an Aldi unit several years ago - it's been great! You can always add another tank to give extra capacity if you need it. The compressor will fill it up while you have a cuppa!
ImageImage
IanC
Minor Fan

Post by IanC »

hi bmcecosse

Just searched on the aldi site and all I can find is the air comp/battery starter pack - Don't know if this is the one you mean but I have to say it doesn't on the face of it look up to much in the way of spraying or wrench work - Can I ask what have you used yours for?

Ian

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

With Aldi they do "weekly deals".. i got my pillar drill from them, much cheaper than elsewhere but still very good. I think roy got his compressor on one of these weekly deals.. So worth keeping your eyes on aldi but no good if you want to buy one next week.
IanC
Minor Fan

Post by IanC »

Thanks Charlie,

I didn't realise this - will book mark the site and keep an eye on it. I must say I was quite surprised at what they were selling today!
Ian

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - it was a 'deal' and is a proper full size 240 volt piston compressor mounted on top of a tank. Similar can be bought from Machine Mart - but a bit more expensive. I have in the past used a calor tank as an extra receiver - relying on the relief valve and pressure switches of the compressor to protect it.
ImageImage
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

I bought an ALDI one a while back but haven't had the time to play with it yet. It cost £89.99, and a similar one from Machine Mart would cost the wrong side of £150.
Out of curiosity, does anyone have a cfm figure for the ALDI ones, there isn't any reference to it in the instructions, just the power rating of 2.5HP?
Also BMC, how do you rig up an extra tank?
ratrodmog
Minor Fan

Post by ratrodmog »

I have had this one for a while now http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod795573/ Runs off a 13amp plug, not too loud, easy to wheel around and runs several tools at the same time. I mainly use it for spraying and it keeps up really well. Definately recommend it :D
Bash's Speed Shop
IanC
Minor Fan

Post by IanC »

cheers ratrodmog,

I found Axminster's when searching around after launching this thread - I hadn't heard of them before so quite nice to get a good reference for them. Did you have to buy the hose line separately? There is a store not too far from me as well, which could be handy.

polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

I have noticed that on a few of the american forums they are singing the praises of vertical tanks.

Ohave modified the drain valve on my compressor. It used to be a small brass screw fiting that was a pain to use and occasionally blew the core out. in general a complete pain.

Que a brain wave and some tinkering:
The angled fitting also reduces the dust off my unsealed floor.
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!