Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
micstersmoggy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

brakes

Post by micstersmoggy »

i saw in the magazine a member who has used silicone break fluid as this does not absorb moisture hie breaks do not seize what a good idea!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: brakes

Post by MarkyB »

Can of worms round here!
I'm a believer but there are plenty here who thinks it's the spawn of Satan.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

MarkyB wrote:Can of worms round here!
Absolutely! I am also a big fan, but then I am one of the very few who does routine maintenance on the braking system! I advocate changing the rubbers (hoses, master and slave seals) at least every ten years. The "If it ain't broke don't fix it" owners seem to be very much in the majority when it comes to Minors and those who replace hoses and seals that are still in good working order are few and far between!

OK, rant over! My point is you can use either fluid and they will both work perfectly. The silicon fluid must be from a trusted automotive source as quality can vary. Some have reported swollen seals, but it should be noted that all rubber parts should be changed and the system flushed before switching fluid. It should also be noted that, contrary to some previous comments on this messageboard, silcon fluid and DoT 4 must NOT BE MIXED.

My preference for silicon is mainly due to the fact that it will not damage paintwork, but not having to change it every 2 years (more missed maintenance from most) is also a benefit. On the negative side it is more expensive and not readily available on the high street.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Discussed on another thread at the moment - DON'T DO IT ! Nothing wrong with DOT4. The silicon fluid is hideously expensive - and is said to give a slightly soggy pedal action.......
ImageImage