Traveller Varnish removal and treatment.

Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidpidge
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Traveller Varnish removal and treatment.

Post by davidpidge »

I have been looking through the forums to see how people are treating/finishing their traveller timbers. I notice a lot of people have spent lots of time stripping old varnish off with nitro-mors or sanders. Just thought i'd mention a product called
'peel away 7'. I'm a joiner so i've used it to strip doors etc. Its basically a paste which you spread on the paint or varnish then cover in plastic sheet. Depending on the thickness of the paint or varnish it can take anywhere from 15mins to 48 hours but after this time, the plastic, paste and all the varnish or coatings will (as the name suggests) peel away.

Heres their website. http://www.peelaway-europe.com/uk/products.php

Dont get it on the rest of the car though or you will lose the paint!

Its totally harmless to the material underneath and just needs cleaning off afterwards before the wood is re-treated. I've seen it take off 10mm of paint in one go.

I must also add that as many people have mentioned, varnish is not the way to go for car timbers due the the movement. It will crack and trap water behind. Oils and stains are far better. Ash is terrible for exterior applications and has no rot resistance what so ever so needs lots of treatment before it goes on the vehicle.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1956 Traveller - work in progress

timlyon
Minor Friendly

Re: Traveller Varnish removal and treatment.

Post by timlyon »

Thanks for this. The wood on my traveller is good but the finish that has been applied is too dark for the smoke grey paintwork. I guess that masking tape on the paintwork will save the paint. What fabric would you recommend using?

Tim
Tim Lyon

"ROG"
www.newtricks.co.uk
davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

Hi, what do you mean by fabric? If you mean the plastic that goes on top, the peel away comes with a large sheet of it in the tub. Otherwise use bin bags, or any thin plastic sheet. Its job is too keep the paste from drying out whilst it works on the paint.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Benzyl Alcohol....... kills head lice !
ImageImage
timlyon
Minor Friendly

Post by timlyon »

Thanks David. I did mean the plastic. When the time comes I will let you know how I get on. The wood is very good but a bit dark for smoke grey I think.[frame]Image[/frame]
Tim Lyon

"ROG"
www.newtricks.co.uk
davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

Lovely car!

irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Different grades of wire wool always works