Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tapitha
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Bending copper brake piping

Post by Tapitha »

I have some new copper brake piping and would be grateful for advice on how to bend piping without flattening, weakening or braking the pipe. I am particularly concerned about the sharp bends needed for the pipes linking the front cylinders.
Thanks,
Mike
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Bending copper brake piping

Post by simmitc »

For most of the bends, simply using a hand will be fine with copper. You can get a proper small bore pipe bender for a few pounds, and this will give you 90 degree bends with a perfect radius. For those short front connecting pipes, I generally find that fitting to the cylinder and then bending over the end of my thumb works really well.

Some people don't like copper as there are stories of stress fractures, but it is made by reputable companies who back it 100%, and as long as it is fitted properly, should not give a problem. It's also much softer and easier top work than other materials. Do make sure that you are using British Standard compliant tube designed for use as brake pipes. I certainly wouldn't use cheap foreign pipe.
Dominic
Minor Addict

Post by Dominic »

Hi, just replaced my brake pipes with kunifer, and found it MUCH easier to remove the front wheel cylinders from the back plate. (I was replacing those too, so built the front brakes up on the bench)
I bent them roughly by hand first, then fitted loosely one of the cylinders, so that I could use it as a "handle" to get the tight curve at the ends. I then connected both cylinders before fitting to the backplate, adjusted the bends and finally bolted the cylinders in place. Saved a lot of bother from trying to do it lying on the floor with the brake inches above one's face!
All the other bends are easy enough to make using thumb and hand pressure.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Copper MUST NOT be used......in some countries it is actually banned - for good reason. My car came to me with some copper pipes fitted - I brushed against one when when working in that area - and it snapped off! Use Kunifer - lasts for ever. bend the pipes round a beer bottle/wine bottle - that sort of thing.
ImageImage
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

I'm not convinced that "copper must not be used". See http://www.mamut.net/automec_uk/subdet6.htm

Note that brake pipe is not the same as copper tube used for other purposes. I agree that Kunifer is better, but given that a reputable manufacturer produces to an agreed standard, and it is not banned in the UK, then it does not seem right to say that it cannot be used.
C6Dave
Minor Fan

Post by C6Dave »

Copper, by it's nature will 'work harden' over time and not be as flexible as when new, but if fitted and left undisturbed is better than steel for corrosion resistance.

Copper piping specifically made for brake circuits is fine to use.
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Dave,

I agree, with the proviso that copper brake lines need approximately double the number of clips to secure it, i.e half the spacing of steel lines. After all, before the war copper was universally used as brake lines.

Alec
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

A tip given to me by my late father in law who worked all his working life as a mechanic was to paint the metal brake pipes with grease, this will provide a good level of protection for the exposed pipes. This was one of the jobs he would do when the company added cars to the fleet.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

copper becomes brittle over time ,i'm not a fan
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]