Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Front lower rebound check

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I was asked to copy this into here, I hope it helps anyone with a similar dilemma to what I faced when I discovered that my 'new' replacement from a 'main supplier' would not fit no matter how much I tried to 'persuade' it to.....
and then that the consensus of opinion was that the remade replacements for this part (from whichever supplier) are generally rubbish!!

This is now made up and fitted using a Mini exhaust bobbin and the original bracket, as decided earlier (see other post in 'mechanical').
Unfortunately I couldn't get two mounting rubbers out of one bobbin as they would have been too thin, so I cut them just below the metal fixing plate on one side, as shown below:[frame]Image[/frame]

This made them pretty much the same thickness as the original. I then drilled a hole in the fixing bracket, very slightly off centre:
[frame]Image[/frame]
I then bolted my new home made bump stop into place, you will notice the fact that it sits to one side of the bracket, once on the car you will see how this makes sense, as the shock absorber arm is angled towards the rear of the car.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
I then sprayed on a coating of underbody seal / waxoil and I was done. :D
Until the next one goes........................... :roll:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Front lower rebound check

Post by bmcecosse »

Must have been a miserably thin bobbin you started with..the traditional Mini exhaust hanger bobbin is more than thick enough to provide two,,,,,,
ImageImage
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi BMC,
Possibly, I haven't had cause to buy them before, so I can't say. They make a good replacement though.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Very good bit of lateral thinking!
]
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Link below to (what I feel are) good value Mini exhaust bobbins.
Best wishes,
Mike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181120243133? ... 1423.l2649
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

In the Netherlands, a company is making this part for direct mounting, without modification...
I have send them a mail, to ask for the costs for remake the original, the company is specialized in custom made rubber, so they can make a copy from the original, with the right specifications.
It is important to use the right "shore" (hardness) for the rubber...
And, more important, thy are 15 minutes driven from my office ;) , so I can bring the old parts to repair.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve