Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SUE482
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Carburetter refurbishment

Post by SUE482 »

The carburettor on my engine is a HS2 and of the early type but there's not a lot of difference between them. Here it is before I start work and as you can see there is a fair amount of surface corrosion which has built up over the years.
[frame]Image[/frame]
[frame]Image[/frame]
Stripping down was fairly easy, I used carburettor cleaner and a tooth brush beforehand to get rid of most of the crap, and then a small suede wire brush (soft metal) to remove the stubborn bits, not on the machined faces we don't want any score marks there. A final squirt of carb cleaner and brush before giving it a good blast with the airline.
I hope I can remember which bit goes where.
[frame]Image[/frame]
I obtained all the necessary information, parts and help from http://www.burlen.co.uk they look after the fuel pumps as well, the technical department have been most helpful and the spares arrived in double quick time. I ordered a rebuild kit, a bearing kit and a few screws to make it look nice.
The main body of the carburettor after a final clean and with the bearing kit fitted,
NOTE JUST FINGER TIGHT INTO THE BODY AS THE JET ASSEMBLY MUST BE CENTRALIZED ON FINAL ASSEMBLY.[frame]Image[/frame]
New throttle disk and spindle fitted, this comes with a couple of inserts which if the body is worn where the spindle fits can be drilled out and inserted. Wear on mine was minimal and the new spindle was a good fit so no need to fit them.[frame]Image[/frame]
New jet assembly in place.[frame]Image[/frame]
The difficult bit is fast approaching all those springs and leavers, I took a lot of photographs to help on the reconstruction thankfully.It took me several attempts to get this right, am I glad I took lots of pics. I cleaned up the levers and painted them with hammerite metal silver paint.
[frame]Image[/frame]
Now back to the jet assembly centralization, remove the screw connecting the leaver and link pick up to the jet assembly, carefully slide the jet assembly out of the bearing and undo the the bearing adjusting screw and remove the spring, the bearing has a small degree of lateral movement so you will need to move this around so that the dash-pot piston slides down when you lift it up and release, of its own accord. When you are satisfied that there is minimal resistance to the piston closing by the spring, tighten up the jet locking screw. Retry the piston and repeat if necessary. Replace the spring and jet adjuster screw and slide the jet assembly back into the bearing.
And finally the completed item, don't forget to fill the dash-pot with oil before setting up.
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
One small point, the fuel inlet may have to be turned round from that shown.
Should be ready for tea time.
brucek
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Carburetter refurbishment

Post by brucek »

Nice job - well done :wink:

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
That Carb has cleaned up a treat. You've done a good job there, time well spent. How's the rest of the car coming along?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
SUE482
Minor Fan

Post by SUE482 »

You can see the progress in "Restoration Projects" under "Split Screen Sue". I just thought I'd put some of the repairs associated with this in the tips section. It might help someone sometime.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Post by bmcecosse »

Surprised you didn't it a new float valve - that's the part that fails most frequently - the rest of the carb is usually fine with just a good clean -no need for a 'kit'.
ImageImage
SUE482
Minor Fan

Post by SUE482 »

Sorry Roy forgot to mention that, it came with the kit so yes I did.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

A credit to the original design that it worked so well despite chronic neglect.

A very good job and let's hope you keep it in that condition now. A drop of oil now and again on the linkages will work a treat.