Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
brucek
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Driver/Passenger Window - lower sealing rubber replacement

Post by brucek »

I'm sure this will already have been posted before but for those currently wrestling with fitting new channels to their main windows, you will probably have come across the manky piece of rubber flap that sits at the base of the window glass itself and is attached to the lift mechnanism via a channel into which the winder mechanism slots.

If yours is anything like mine, this piece of rubber is usually well past its sell by date but does not appear to be readily available from the usual suppliers. However, you will probably find that the rubber strip, which goes in the channel at the bottom edge of the door itself, and which seals against the kick plate, will do the job just as well. It has the same T shape profile and, once the old rubber has been removed and the channel in which it sat has been 'de-cripmed' , cleaned and lubricated with a small amout of washing-up liquiid, the new channel fits in perfectly and just needs trimming for length.

If it helps I'll post a few photo's if asked but I've found it works very well indeed :wink:

[frame]Image[/frame]

moray
Minor Fan

Re: Driver/Passenger Window - lower sealing rubber replacement

Post by moray »

Cool, thanks for this info.
I have my doors in pieces at the moment and was looking at that rubber, or lack of, and wondering if I should replace it.
I can't see what it seals against, but I guess it was fitted for a reason.
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

I think it just deflects any water away from the winding mechanism when the window is up and guides it to the drain holes at the bottom of the door. :wink:

gtt1951
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by gtt1951 »

Great idea. I've been trying to get that rubber insert as I have had to replace the window winder channel guide - the replacement comes sans rubber. I have already bought the door bottom rubber, so I'll have a go with it (the new channel guides don't need decrimping, but will need crimping up).
As an aside, does anyone know how to get the glass to stay in the new guide with its new rubber insert?
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
George Smathers
Minor Fan

Post by George Smathers »

Thanks for the tip. Do you mean we can use this piece of rubber (at the bottom)?

George[frame]Image[/frame]
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Hi George - no it's the one that goes on the underside of the door and seals between the door bottom and the kick plate. If you have a look at the underside of your door, you should see either a rubber strip, or the channel where the rubber strip used to be. If it helps, it is item EXC 122 from ESM http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/index.php :wink:

George Smathers
Minor Fan

Post by George Smathers »

Thanks Bruce. I put two in my shopping cart at ESM.

George