Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kattweaver
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Spares and Tools

Post by kattweaver »

Just wondered what are your essential spares and or special handy tools that you never leave without might be?
Things that could be the difference between getting your car home or not?
being a fairly new morris owner any thoughts would be appreciated.

katt
morris van
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Spares and Tools

Post by morris van »

I always carry a gallon of petrol,toolbox,coil,spark plugs condenser and points and foot pump.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You don't mention how big your trailer is. :D

kattweaver
Minor Friendly

Post by kattweaver »

morris van wrote:I always carry a gallon of petrol,toolbox,coil,spark plugs condenser and points and foot pump.
Brilliant, I'm on my way to the right track then, thank you! :D
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

I always carry a gallon of petrol,toolbox,coil,spark plugs condenser and points and foot pump.
Anything in that tool box?
Talk slow, think fast!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Head gasket/fan belt/spare working dizzy/spare working fuel pump/set of hoses.... for longer expeditions - spare head + alternator.
ImageImage
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

cable ties & some sort of torch/illumination
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

I have a set of points, a rotor arm, , set of spark plugs, a condenser, some copper grease and exhaust paste, Throttle return spring, clutch return spring, cable ties, gaffa tape, fan belt, electrical tape, coil , fuses, and a dizzy cap.

Tools: Couple of screwdrivers, Hammer, selection of spanners, pliers, wire strippers, some sockets and a ratchet, stanley knife.

Also carry a gallon of petrol, some antifreeze and a small container of oil.

All of that fits nicely under the boot shelf thing

In my opinion if you've got it , you wont ever need it.

kattweaver
Minor Friendly

Post by kattweaver »

DaisyMayFozz wrote:I have a set of points, a rotor arm, , set of spark plugs, a condenser, some copper grease and exhaust paste, Throttle return spring, clutch return spring, cable ties, gaffa tape, fan belt, electrical tape, coil , fuses, and a dizzy cap.

Tools: Couple of screwdrivers, Hammer, selection of spanners, pliers, wire strippers, some sockets and a ratchet, stanley knife.

Also carry a gallon of petrol, some antifreeze and a small container of oil.

All of that fits nicely under the boot shelf thing

In my opinion if you've got it , you wont ever need it.

Thankyou daisymayfozz and everyone else that responded, thats a great shopping list and some stuff i never thought of but seems obvious. much appreciated.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

After all those suggestions I don't blame you if you conclude that the Minor is unreliable. :D It gives a false impression because they are very dependable. The main reason for carrying spares is peace of mind and the knowledge that in those rare cases the Minor is easy to fix.

drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

Some butties, Oh and some help eating them in the form of a female blonde![frame]Image[/frame]

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Steve the blondes a bit of a dog :lol: .I always carry duct tape and molegrips and an AA card
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Spare bulb set in glovebox, rubber hammer to tap anything that might stick (fuel pump?) and RAC card!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
kattweaver
Minor Friendly

Post by kattweaver »

les wrote:After all those suggestions I don't blame you if you conclude that the Minor is unreliable. :D It gives a false impression because they are very dependable. The main reason for carrying spares is peace of mind and the knowledge that in those rare cases the Minor is easy to fix.
I agree, i feel like if i have the spares with me i probably wont need them.
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

All useful things to carry "just in case". Wonder what the effect on fuel consumption is though 8)
]
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Dear Katt,

Just had a reminder when I recently saw a long queue behind yet another prang on the M3. I strongly recommend you include in your collection some sweets and a bottle of water. And keep it within easy reach! I've only been held up in the Trav for a couple of hours, but seen much worse - luckily in the other carriage way. Personally I keep block of "Kendal Mint Cake" handy. (It says on the back " . .carried to the top of Mount Everest on 29 May 1953" and "We sat in the snow and looked at the country far below us . .we nibbled Kendal Mint Cake." That's good enough for me!)

Of course you'll need nerves of steel to make sure you don't keep scoffing it, Mike Nash.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Whenever I had the tool box and spares in the car with me I never needed them but when left at home I would be in need of something from the tool box. There must be some 'law' (i.e. ' no matter how much garage space you have it always gets filled') relating to this! I agree with some of the suggestions made by the other posters but the most useful bit of kit I found was a piece of electrical wire for bypassing electrical faults and which came in useful on the M6 about 19 years ago when the dip switch failed and I just ran a direct feed to the lights. Repaired and ready to go before the AA man arrived.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Mike - Mint cake wouldn't last 2 minutes in my car....... :roll: I do have some Emrats - emergency army rations in sealed foil packs. These are so grim - I really would need to be desperate before eating them....... :wink:
ImageImage