Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Files a bit dull/blunt?

Post by bmcecosse »

It was a reference to a BA$TARD file........ :roll: Oh dear.....such excitement...
ImageImage
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

The correct tool for cleaning a file is called a "file Card" It's essencially a very short bristled wire brush.

When I was an apprentice we had to mark out an adjustable spanner on steel plate after washing it with a blue marking fluid so the scribe marks coulld be seen. We had to cut the profile out by hand with a hacksaw then use files and finishing by "draw fileing" to get a nice clean edge surface.
We even had to hand file the square shank into a round bar to thread. That experince gets me in many a row with my wife and her sisters when they are "rocker fileing" their nails the WRONG way.

Don't suppose many of our kids will experience skills like this, makes me sad. :(

M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

drivewasher wrote:That experince gets me in many a row with my wife and her sisters when they are "rocker fileing" their nails the WRONG way.
I see a new career beckoning as a manicure consultant. Get yourself down to the local nail bar. :P
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Reminds me I still have the centre punch.spanner,screwdriver and sprocket puller I made for my A- Level engineering, also the drawings for the dismantled clutch for my a-level tech drawing as well (43 years ago, say it quick and it doesn't seem such a long time ago )

drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

M25VAN wrote:
drivewasher wrote:That experince gets me in many a row with my wife and her sisters when they are "rocker fileing" their nails the WRONG way.
I see a new career beckoning as a manicure consultant. Get yourself down to the local nail bar. :P
Ha! I even drew them a graph plotting the centre point of the imaginary nail file as it was moved. They weren't too impressed though. That got me my toe nails painted whilst I was asleep! They then told me to "bore off" whatever that means :roll:

blues2rock
Minor Friendly

Post by blues2rock »

To avoid upsetting our sensitive readers I think files should be renamed thus:

a. Rough Cut
b. Illegitimate
c. Smooth
d. Second cut
e. Dead smooth
f. Special cuts.

Also brake you know what should be renamed to "procedure to extract unwanted air (yes air not hair) from a hydraulic circuit".

There is a possibility that something else is being "extracted" in these posts.
Mr Angry from Maldon