Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cyril
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Annual Greasing

Post by Cyril »

Hi
I am about to undertake the annual greasing/oiling of the underside of my Morris Traveller.
I have heard through various discussions that there are certain mechanical areas to be avoided when greasing/oiling.
What areas do I need to avoid when doing this job?
Thanks
Mark
P.S I have decided to use a product called Lanoguard cause I live near the sea as it gives added protection from salt.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: Annual Greasing

Post by MarkyB »

Flexible brake pipes perhaps?
Disc (if fitted) and drum surfaces are all that spring to mind.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Prop shaft........
ImageImage
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Try to keep any excess oil/grease off any rubber parts (e.g., bushes) and the wiring loom - oil rots the rubber.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

Hi, the product is Lanolin based and as such will do no harm to rubber parts other than keep them moisturised. I live by the sea and also favour "wet" anti rust treatments as I have a Citroen DS that lives outside and these sort of products do a fantastic job so long as they are applied reasonably regularly. If they can stop '70's Citroens rusting they must be good :D
[sig]6530[/sig]
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Sounds good. Better than Waxoyl, would you say?
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

I use a product called Lexodol 700 which I would imagine is very similar as it is non oil based. I know 'Sheep grease" (lanolin) products are very popular in Australia with the classic car owners, generally they don't dry out. Waxoyl tends to dry, shrink, crack and come away from the surface it is protecting in my experience, so yes I would say much better. If you look at a Minors prop shaft tunnel underside they are usually the best preserved part of the car through propshaft oil seal leakage which shows the worth of a wet type of anti-rust treatment. I have tried most antirust products over the years and if this stuff works at a location 400 yards from the sea it must be good. This winter just gone I used it on surface rusted metal exposed to the salt atmosphere and weather and it has kept it perfectly protected, there aren't many better ways of proving a product.
[sig]6530[/sig]
meganwilkinson2008
Minor Fan

Post by meganwilkinson2008 »

I always wrap a rag round front suspension when doing under wings. i always use wax oil found it works very well do mine every year thou after a good wash off and left to dry