Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Larryb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Moisture

Post by Larryb »

I (and a guy who knew what he was doing) spent a couple of hours trying to get my 67 Traveller to start yesterday. It rained like a tall cow peeing on a flat rock yesterday morning. The Moggy would turn over but gave no indication that it wanted to fire. Pulled the plugs, popped the distributor cap off, added fresh gas, dried all the plug wires, tested the fuel pump to be sure it was pumping...all OK.

Feeling dejected I called a local mechanic who specializes in foreign cars and told him I was going to have the car towed to him to check it out. He said before I do that, try the WD40 Cure, namely to spray WD40 on the distributor cap, plug wires condenser and generally all over the engine. I did that and the car started immediately. Seems like moisture got in because of the massive downpour we had. Good trick to remember.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Moisture

Post by bmcecosse »

Well yes , always worth carrying a can in the car (WD = Water Dispersant) - but it leaves a sticky mess that attracts dirt.. Ideally you should clean it all off to make everything 'spotless' - and perhaps consider fitting new spark plug leads - they may have become 'porous'.
ImageImage
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Moisture

Post by irmscher »

scf 60 is very good have a look on ebay