New fault finding, restoration, maintaince guide?

Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tim_jnv
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

New fault finding, restoration, maintaince guide?

Post by tim_jnv »

As relavtivley young owner and wanting to be able to keep my 3 morris running after restoration for some 40years hopefully!

I am wondering what peoples thoughts on creating an new guide for fault finding, restoration, maintaince not wanting to tread on anyones toes who is allready doing so or thought of this. but given that what has been around is becoming some what dated, and I know alot of people have plenty of exprience with advice all over this forum, there is all so a lot of modern techniques, products and suppliers that also deserve a mention.

what about some kind of elecronic database for such documents to go into, beign able to print of relevant sections or as industry, access via smartphone or tablet?

A few thoughts?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: New fault finding, restoration, maintaince guide?

Post by bmcecosse »

Just use the search function on the forum - it's all here....There is very little that hasn't been covered over and over again.... :D Also -arm yourself with a free download of the Workshop Manual - covers most things very well!
ImageImage
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

The problem is that really one needs two documents, easily accessible and relevant for ones own models ( The workshop manual and much of the Haynes and similar clones , make references to earlier models, the UPHM engines for example when the 1000 series are a little different ). The documents need to be Owners Manual+, giving original specification data (from Valve Clearances to Tyre Pressures and normal servicing schedule ), along with the more common present day Minor items- eg any Tyre pressures for the current Bridgestones and Toyo's , wiring for Hazard Lights, etc.

Plus a simple servicing guide ( I always liked the Stanton Abbey range of books ), ideas as to best sealants for gaskets ( or none )

The workshop manual falls into near silence on the joys of rebuilding Doors, (especially locks).

Given that my Local Kwik-Fit branch decides that they cannot do free check/ fault diagnosis on 1000 rear brakes ( we have not got the tools !), and Suspension repairs ( we don't replace lever arm shockers) . I can only presume Kwik Fit (and National Tyrecentres ) don't have screwdrivers , spanners or hammers in their tool boxes, or supplies of SAE30 oil. Its a pity as 15min up on a ramp compared with me outside for a couple of hours on cold concrete (in the rain) trying to find a jacking point that raises the wheels without lifting the car while wheels remain on ground / jack obscures the nut one was trying to access.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you don't need certain pages of the Workshop Manual - just don't print them out ! If you have a hard copy - you'll soon know what pages to look at - by the thumb prints on the corners.... I do believe rebuilding doors (and pretty much EVERYTHING else) is very very well covered in this forum. If not on the general sections - certainly in the Restorations threads -where eye-watering skills are demonstrated over and over again. I am in constant awe of these lads ! :lol:
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I'm pretty sure those companies have got hammers! :D