Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Damp gloveboxes?

Post by ManyMinors »

With Winter weather upon us, here's a little job well within the capabilities of most, which might keep a bit of water out.
The gloveboxes on my Minor were getting damp and so today after work I spent a little time improving things. Rainwater was seeping in around the windscreen wiper wheelboxes which protrude though the bulkhead just above the gloveboxes.
The hole is sealed by a gasket which on my car had become perished. I'd obtained in advance, a pair of these gaskets and new chrome plated nuts for the wheelboxes which can be tricky to undo. It's a good opportunity to purchase new wiper blades too if you need some. Prise the wiper arms off first. I had already applied some releasing oil to the wheelbox nuts but one still refused to undo. It is best NOT to force these if they are stubborn because you'll only cause damage and using a hacksaw I simply cut off one of the flats as close as possible to the thread, so not to cause any damage to the wheelbox thread. The remains of the nut was then easy to persuade off, along with the angled chrome plated finisher.
The remains of the original gasket will probably fall apart and you can clean up the area and the wheelbox thread. Then simply position the new gasket, clean and refit the chrome plated angled spacer, perhaps apply some lubricant to the thread and then fit the nut and tighten it sufficiently for the gasket to seal. Then just refit the wipers :) .[frame]Image[/frame]
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Damp gloveboxes?

Post by les »

Well done, nothing worse that a wet pair of gloves.

MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

ive been trying to sort this problem out for months now coming back to it giving it another go everyonce in a while think i will just resort to the hacksaw thanks :) just got to replace my two wiper arm springs now aswell as they rusted through and pinged whilst i was trying to get the arm off :( that nut is a *beeeep* though D:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Satisfying little job :)