Radio's pre-1952???

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Post by Cam »

I don't think any of the Minor models were fitted with radios except maybe 3rd party after market accessories.

These tended to be a bit of a rarity in 1952. I have seen some period adverts from 1952 and the radios on offer were absolutely massive!! and quite expensive, so I would say that is is probably unlikely that many Minor owners fitted them back then.

So, from an originality perspective I would say that it would be better to exclude the radio, unless it was crucial to the plot!

Of course, it would be better if you had some solid info from someone who was actually alive in 1952 and was old enough to remember things like car radios! unlike me :wink:
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Sandy,

I'm just about that vintage, but I do recall my father (commercial traveller) having a string of Austins (A40 - Somerset, A35, A40 Farina, A55 A60 Ford Cortina Mk1 - oops!) - The first one I recall having a valve radio was the A55.

In those days there was a licence fee for a radio (in a car) of 10/6 IIRC per annum! (plus one for the house) I don't think there were many radios available - we're still in the post-war austerity era.

Again IIRC, for a ford Consul one had to contract that the car would not be re-sold for 2 years.

I think I agree with Cam - unless the radio is crucial to the plot, keep it simple.

Thanks Cam - making me feel my age - not the Moggie's!

Let us know when & where the Preview is?
Colin
Willie
Minor Legend

radio

Post by Willie »

I have found a pic of the engine bay of a 1952 Minor on which
you can see the very large power pack which was necessary
to operate the valve radio(a much higher voltage than the 12v
was required). In those days you fitted a radio anywhere you
could! There were no factory fitted slots! On my 1953 MG TD I
fitted a radio(Motorola??) which was almost as big as the engine!
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]