MOWOG

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olonas

Post by olonas »

We see the word "MOWOG" incorporated into/onto genuine Morris parts. Does anyone know why this particular "word" was used and if a group of initials what does it mean?
Genuine Standard/Triumph parts are embossed with "Stanpart" which is self explpanetary.
Horace
MMOC Member: No

Post by Horace »

Minis Of Windsor Owners Group
M O W O G
Horace
tuning72
Minor Friendly

Post by tuning72 »

Hi
I am pretty sure "MOWOG" was used earlier than the "Mini". I am racking my poor memory and will not rest untill solved!
Please help........Ivor
olonas

Post by olonas »

Horace, thanks. Ivor, keep on racking! And not forgetting "FoMoCo"[ This Message was edited by: olonas on 29-03-2002 18:54 ]
Horace

Post by Horace »

that ones easy peasy ford motor company
Horace
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

MoWoG dates back to the time of the merger of Wolseley and MG into Morris Motors, it is excepted that Mo stands for Morris and Wo stands for Wolseley, but the G has 2 versions one says it stands for Group, the other says its for MG as the period prefixes and suffixes at the time were `M` for Morris, `W` for Wolseley and `G` for MG, so it is a combined `logo for the merger of the other companies into `Morris Motors Ltd`
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
olonas

Post by olonas »

Sounds good to me, Kevin. Thanks.
tuning72
Minor Friendly

Post by tuning72 »

Hi Kevin
Does "Austin, Riley" pre-date the "Mowog"
merger? I am still searching for "History"
witin the "Friends of Nuffield Place"..Ivor
sidevalve
Minor Friendly

Post by sidevalve »

If MOWOG originated with the purchase of Wolseley by Morris in 1926, then it certainly predates both the purchase of Riley by Nuffield in (I think) 1938, and the BMC merger in 1952.

I seem to recall working on a flatnose Cowley
(can't remember what model year it was) but it had some cast components with MOWOG.

Cheers

Dave
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

HI MY INFO CAME FROM
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/mowog.htm
it contains some pointers to the 1935 ? merger of Morris, Wolseley & MG. and where the info comes from I hope this helps.

Just found a shaggy dog story explaination that I had not heard before ( but I am sure Ivor will have )
Many believe that Mowog was an 800lb gorilla employed by BL to tighten up the flywheel bolts & front pulley nuts, using a large wrench and a length of scafold pole

Kevin P Daly[ This Message was edited by: Kevin on 16-04-2002 11:27 ]
ianselva
Minor Friendly

Post by ianselva »

It occurs to me that it might be the "short" name that organisations had for telegrams etc and was printed as a contact in the front of handbooks.
tuning72
Minor Friendly

Post by tuning72 »

Hi
Yes I heard about some "Gorilla`s" on Line!
The trouble started when the "Hand Built" became "Air Torque method" I suspect the torque setting was a mystery to some? X`d threads were rife and the trap nut was a sinister fixing! The Mini g/box mainshaft nut was the exception. This kept mechanics in full time employment by defying any attempt at tightening!
I still have a long ring spanner for the front pulley and ground for a Mini flywheel nut. Nice to wedge, then use starter!!
I was sure "Mowog" went back a few years. I can`t remember when the BMC rossette went either.........Ivor
sidevalve
Minor Friendly

Post by sidevalve »

The short code for Morris Motors was "voiturette" according to 1935 parts lists. However for Nuffield Exports the short code was "morex" according to 1952 parts lists.

Cheers

Dave
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

To-day I called in to a Rover dealers that I've used for years, and bumped into a chap who started working there in 1957 he told me that MOWOG is MO(morris)WO(wolsley)G(mg).He said the logo was being used in '57
les.
ps: further info is probably available at the Heritage centre.