Will I ever have clean hands again? How do you clean yours?

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tickman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Will I ever have clean hands again? How do you clean yours?

Post by tickman »

As the title says how do you get your hands clean when they have spent the day in gloves that tear as soon as they meet anything with an edge?

john.
[img]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m166/tickman1972/megsperfectphotography-1.jpg[/img]
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

Try a little (fresh / new / cold) vegetable cooking oil rubbed into your hands, then 1/2 teaspoon of sugar again rubbed in followed by squirt of washing up liquid.
The cooking oil softens the grease / dirt, sugar scours the more ingrained and washing up liquid then allows it all to all wash away.

My father in law (mechanic from just before WWII to 1960's) says they used to grab a handfull of sugar soap and then a sprinkling of sand !

Paul Humphries
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Barrier cream, hand cream or, my choice, nappy rash cream before you start work.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

We have some deb liquid soap in the garage which works a treat!

The cooking oil, salt and washing up liquid works well. and there are loads of products available commercially Manista, Swarfega etc

RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

Actually the truth of the matter is NO you probably won't!
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

I use this stuff appropriately named 'The good stuff' and its bright orange, feels like grit to start with but leaves your hands clean when washed off and leaves your hands smelling of oranges aswell!
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

A combination of vinyl nitrile gloves (more resistant to tearing than vinyl; incidentally, if you're wearing gloves to work on the car (and wearing them a lot) get unpowdered ones; the powdered ones increase your risk of developing an allergy) and Manista hand cleanser. I used to use swarfega but Manista just rocks :)
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

using a good barrier cream works marvelously - I had one from a local car shop many years ago and that stuff was mindblowing - I could even get hamerite off my hands afterwards.
The stuff I've got at the moment (from scrwfix) isn't really worth having.
I agree with Kate - the Vinyl gloves are more durable than Latex ones - although I prefer not having them on.

If all else fails, the stiff side of a nail brush and washing up liquid will shift most things - although it's not exactly pleasant on your arms or back of hands!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
tickman
Minor Fan

Post by tickman »

vinyl nitrile are the gloves i have been using, i managed to get a couple of boxes from work as well as a few other helpful items :D

latex ones are not even worth putting on in my opinion and most labs are moving away from powered because of people getting skin problems with lots of use.

using a combination of washing up liquid, sugar, a nail brush and next a scotch pad if i get to go out soon! (not likely to happen)

used t have great stuff at one place i worked but that was years ago and stocks are long gone of that.

thanks for all the replys i think i will try the barrier cream as well as other stuff.

john.
[img]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m166/tickman1972/megsperfectphotography-1.jpg[/img]
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

I find good old fasioned soap and a nail brush is best, or manista. The blue type of gloves, i dont know if these are vynil nitrate are good. But the sweat in summer is unpleasant.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

THe best stuff I've used is some hand cleaner JLH had at his workshop, but I can't remember what it was called :( Like Swarfega, but with some kind of grit or sand added. I generally settle for washing up liquid amd a stiff brush, but I guess not having much feeling in my hands kind of helps on that score...
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Think it was Gramos hand cleaner. As you say BG its excellent and about £15 for 5ltrs, maybe more, retail from our local paintstore. Cleans everything from your hands, oil, paint ,glue etc but does not ruin your skin. :wink:

HarryMango
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by HarryMango »

I use "Citrus Beaded Hand Gel" which is made from natural citrus oils & is very good. I get it from my local autojumbles - £3 for 1 litre tub or 2 for £5.

Rog
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

HarryMango wrote:made from natural citrus oils
and to think of the image most people have of lorry drivers... ;)
HarryMango
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by HarryMango »

I always like to buck the trend :lol:

Rog
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

bigginger wrote:
HarryMango wrote:made from natural citrus oils
and to think of the image most people have of lorry drivers... ;)
Once, in France, I stopped off at a service area to wash my hands as they were oily (I was going to Spain in a 1970 Land Rover so what do you expect !).
I found some fantastic hand cleaner in the wash room that too the oil straight off.
Back in the vehicle my mate had to keep the windows open for ages.
Seems the "hand cleaner" was actually some sort of cologne they buy in 25ltr drums and have dedicated dispensors by the side of the sinks - just for lorry drivers :D

Paul Humphries
Furrtiv
Minor Fan

Post by Furrtiv »

If you're going to use unpowdered gloves, try rubbing some talc on your hands first as it makes the darned things easier to get on - a tattooist I know had changed over from powdered to unpowdered, for his customers' sake as well as his own, and found that he couldn't get the gloves on!

As for removing grease - I work with industrial acrylic paints, bugger to get off when they dry on your skin, so I use our acetone-based industrial thinners to wipe my hands clean with, and that stuff removes everything - wouldn't recommend it for home use, though (unless you have tons of moisturiser)!
Re-employed!:D
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Same deal with WD40 - it gets the oil off, but moisturiser is vital :D
tickman
Minor Fan

Post by tickman »

got some manista and was well impressed with the ease of it getting muck off. well worth it for saving at least 5 mins and not wasting loads of washing up liquid!
moggydriver62
Minor Fan

Post by moggydriver62 »

ReClean hands.
Do all the dishwashing, use laundry detergent.
it will also make you popular with the misses. :roll: :roll: :evil: