Midsomer Murders.

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Midsomer Murders.

Post by SGTBILKO »

Midsomer must be a dangerous place to live in, it certainly keeps Inspecter Barnaby in full time employment! I have recently enjoyed watching this series and noticed that you sometimes get a glimpse of a Morris Minor. One noteable example is a very nice almond green split-green traveller, registration number 486 UXR. I see from the DVLA records that she has a 1098cc engine fitted which seems to be born out by the brisk manner in which she was driven! I was idly wondering if the owner is a club member. William.
LouiseM

Re: Midsomer Murders.

Post by LouiseM »

No idea if it is owned by a club member but there is an earlier thread about this traveller here : http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... t=midsomer

Eric - 1971 Traveller
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

i have noticed the minor :) but if he lives there he doesnt have a great life expectancy as they all get killed :o but i bet property is cheap and funeral directors earn a fortune
hedles

Post by hedles »

486 UXR

Strange.

There is a car driven by James Corden featuring in an advert for confused.com <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxIK2-99LFM> frequently on the TV at this time (July-Aug 2016), which bears exactly that registration mark and it is a Merc, definitely is NOT a Moggy Minor of any description. Although I don't recognise the city streets through which Corden is driving, judging by the fact that he is driving on the left, the shape and style of the registration plates, UK traffic light sequence (red->red+amber->green, which features heavily in the ad) and the shape and colour of other road signs, cones etc. the ad is definitely filmed in the UK - somewhere in London at a guess.

Initially my interest was sparked because although the Mercedes shape (and badge if you look closely) is clearly visible in the final shot, I did not see the Mercedes badge on the back of the car the first couple of times I saw the ad and the rear of vehicle has the shape of something much older. Early on I was wondering if it was even the same make and model of car in the final shot as the rest of the ad. To me the rear looks reminiscent of the old Vauxhall Viva saloon, but I am not good on car recognition so the next time I saw the advert, I took a note of the registration mark. Initially, this confirmed to me that it must be a very old car (pre 1962), so I bunged it into Google to see if I might be able to find what make and model of car it is and up came a ref to this forum.

I've tried DVLA searches, but for both (tax and MOT) checks you have to supply the make of the vehicle - goodness knows why! When I supply "Mercedes", the MOT history check came up "No vehicle that matched the data you entered could be found." and the tax check, "Vehicle details could not be found". If I supply "Morris", sure enough it comes up with details confirming those SGTBILKO supplied, above, taxed until 01 July 2017 and MOT exempt(!). (I wasn't aware that a vehicle for use on UK roads could be exempt from MOT and it seems mad to me, but that's what is says.)

Eventually, when I'd seen the advert a few more times, I noticed a Mercedes badge was on the back as well as the front on the final shot which shows a view of two cars driving towards the camera from under a bridge - the one on the right is the Mercedes - clearly intended to be the vehicle driven by Corden, but, because whole advert is filmed in the dark, it's not possible to recognize the occupants. However the (same) registration number can be read on the front of the vehicle from the above YouTube link if you pause it on the appropriate frame.

By studying the stills, I have reached the conclusion that it is probably a Mercedes 200 series. That also concurs with googled images of the 200 series, most likely a 200 Dx (where x represents a indecipherable character). There is also a road direction sign just visible as Corden is about to turn under the bridge which is difficult to read even on an enlarged still, but it looks like it has a Highway Code symbol for a main line station at the bottom, possibly preceded by "Waterloo". If so, that would confirm it is filmed in London.

But why does it have this false number plate?!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

A lot of cars on TV have appeared with false numbers maybe its to stop people cloning them
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

A friend hired his Jaguar for a film which was ideal for all their purposes except for a year letter newer than the supposed year of the film. The car was duly fitted with plates suitable for the period and apparently this is common practice. Ok on a film studio lot I suppose but a bit naughty if they take it on the road.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Makes you wonder would the insurance company pay out if there was an accident :o
hedles

Post by hedles »

Perhaps that does explain why it had false plates, but still a big coincidence that it is exactly the number of the (still registered) Midsomer Moggy.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

hedles wrote:Perhaps that does explain why it had false plates, but still a big coincidence that it is exactly the number of the (still registered) Midsomer Moggy.
Not really so much of a coincidence. I expect both cars belong to the same hire company :wink:
The same Minor Traveller was also used in the first "Endeavour" episode.
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

It looks like it has been filmed with CGI as the headlight beam at the end doesn't look quite right and all the shots of Corden are definitely simulated
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

hedles wrote:486 UXR

Strange.

There is a car driven by James Corden featuring in an advert for confused.com <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxIK2-99LFM> frequently on the TV at this time (July-Aug 2016), which bears exactly that registration mark and it is a Merc, definitely is NOT a Moggy Minor of any description. Although I don't recognise the city streets through which Corden is driving, judging by the fact that he is driving on the left, the shape and style of the registration plates, UK traffic light sequence (red->red+amber->green, which features heavily in the ad) and the shape and colour of other road signs, cones etc. the ad is definitely filmed in the UK - somewhere in London at a guess...

But why does it have this false number plate?!

Wow, that's some pretty impressive sleuthing work, worthy of a Midsomer Murders chief inspector! :lol: Most peculiar indeed, how a Minor Traveller's registration should end up being used on a Mercedes in an advert. :-?
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Is it just me or does anyone else find that "compare the mkt" advert - the one with the strutting blokes in tight denim shorts - more than a little disturbing?

I DO find it inappropriate!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

Totally agree POMMReg :o
leafie

Post by leafie »

POMMReg wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else find that "compare the mkt" advert - the one with the strutting blokes in tight denim shorts - more than a little disturbing?

Me too, but I have a bit of a phobia about people who dress up and clowns, you can imagine I'm really comfortable with the current fad for clowns.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

The advert drives me mad I cant stand it :evil:
Brian in Saudi
Minor Friendly

Post by Brian in Saudi »

POMMReg wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else find that "compare the mkt" advert - the one with the strutting blokes in tight denim shorts - more than a little disturbing?

Me too.

His shoes are entirely the wrong colour for that outfit :)
leafie

Post by leafie »

Brian in Saudi wrote:

Me too.

His shoes are entirely the wrong colour for that outfit :)
:lol: