GPO van wheel rims

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidmiles
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: GPO van wheel rims

Post by davidmiles »

yes now they're blasted you can clearly see it[frame]Image[/frame]
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
kiwimog
Minor Friendly

Post by kiwimog »

An old thread, I know...
RussLCV you mention here the difference between LP 917 and 936. What were the 936 rims used on?
[Edit: Whoops, just found answer here: viewtopic.php?t=18928 ]

Were the 917s only original equipment on 8 cwt LCVs, or did BMC have them in optional parts bin for Wolseley 1500/Riley 1.5 etc.?

Does anyone know if the MossMotors chrome bands to fit 5J Rostyles fit the 917s?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The LP917 rims were fitted to the 8cwt version of the van and pick-up from around 1968 onwards. I cannot think of any other original application. The "reverse rim" LP936 rims were not offered on any vehicle from new as far as I know. They were, like the reverse rim Mini Cooper wheels, a popular aftermarket accessory manufactured by Dunlop and available through the many accessory outlets. The LP917 rims are not suitable for fitting to the Riley 1.5/Wolseley 1500 as the tyre rubs on the steering arm which is different to the Minor one. The LP936 was therefore marketed as a wider rim for the Minor as well as the Riley and Wolseley because the different offset allowed these wheels and tyres the clearance required.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stuffedpike20 »

The steering is a lot heavier with wider wheels fitted.
Is this why thicker steering arms were introduced?
kiwimog
Minor Friendly

Post by kiwimog »

I have just posted a new thread asking for information about Ace Rimbellishers and their codes. If anyone reading this has any info to add, particularly if it relates to fitment of Rimbellishers to Minor rims (Million or otherwise), please check it out.