'54 Series II parcel shelf details wanted!

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tony H
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

'54 Series II parcel shelf details wanted!

Post by Tony H »

Hi everyone. I am refurbishing my parcel shelf ['54 SII gold dash] I need to know the following: 1.What colour is the metal bar ? 2. What colour is the parcel shelf itself [my guess is beige/cream]? 3. Are the fixing rivets fitted after the painting [my guess is yes]? 4. Are the rivets 'head' inwards, ie pointing to the bulkhead with the 'prongs' facing into the car or visa versa? Thanks - Tony H.

C6Dave
Minor Fan

Re: '54 Series II parcel shelf details wanted!

Post by C6Dave »

1. On mine it's Gold

2. Can't really see the shelf colour as it's under the dash but it's fairly dark

3. Can't see the rivets with the shelf fitted so can't answer but have to assume they are fitted after painting

4. On mine the rivet heads are pointing to the bulkhead with the 'prongs' pointing toward the cabin

Unless your doing a 'concourse' car, I don't think that 2-4 are that important.
Tony H
Minor Friendly

Post by Tony H »

Hi Dave. Thanks for your help. Gold it is then [it would seem sensible to match up with the dash] I have since cleaned the shelf and it seems it was once black on the top side and cream on the underneath.

Re the rivets. I just want the car to be as near to what it was like when it was new in 1954. I think I will struggle to fit the rivets on the bulkhead side but I'm gonna try! It may take a bit longer but I get more satisfaction from doing it as it should be. I think too many people are using self tappers and cable ties etc!

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Pop rivets are the answer :)
[sig]3580[/sig]
Tony H
Minor Friendly

Post by Tony H »

mike.perry wrote:Pop rivets are the answer :)
Mike you're right! I've struggled all day to fit the parcel shelf with bifurcated rivets [very hard to get hold of]as per the original in '54. I don't know how they did it in '54, must have been a team effort! Even using the rivets on the front of the parcel shelf proved tricky, they must have used a special tool to hammer the prongs flat. I've decided to use pop rivets on the front bar and nuts and bolts to hold the back of the shelf onto the bulkhead. I may try again this winter.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Nuts, bolts and some large spacing washers to spread the load.
And whilst you are there ditch the tatty cardboard kick panels and make some decent panels from hardboard
[sig]3580[/sig]