Tyre pressures

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tezm8
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Tyre pressures

Post by Tezm8 »

Hi everyone. I was wondering what's the best tyre pressure for my 1960 2 door saloon it currently has radial tyres on which say 145 on them if anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Bidz
Minor Fan

Re: Tyre pressures

Post by Bidz »

I put 28 in mine. 28-30psi will be popular choices.
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
Tezm8
Minor Friendly

Post by Tezm8 »

thank you! :)
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

Most radials will be fine at 30-32psi. :D

Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

I recently had a set of Nankang 155R14 tyres fitted, and the garage that put them on for me inflated them to 35psi. I don't know if this is too high but they look and feel right.

TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Much too high, Mr Dryad. With the original 5.20x14 crossplies that were fitted at the factory the recommended pressures were 22psi all round with just driver, 22psi front and 24psi rear with full load, later vans and pickups 24psi front and 28psi rear. Travellers would benefit from a couple of psi more in the back to cope with the weight of the tree wrapped round the back!
Problem is that radials were never fitted as standard but when the matter was discussed at length back in the eighties, the general conclusion was to up the pressures by 2 to 4 psi. I run the saloon on 25psi all round and the van on 24 front and 28 rear (I would put a couple more in the back if it was regularly carrying a full load) and observation of the tyre wear over (maybe) 300,000 miles indicates that I'm about right.
A tyre fitter will use informed guesswork if he has no recommendation figure (which he will have for modern vehicle but not for anything more than about 15 years old)... they will deny this, no doubt, but it is true. My tyre fitter puts 30psi in everything old that I take him if I do not specify otherwise .
35psi plus a wet road plus a bit too much right pedal = pirouettes!

By the way, I note that Toyota Aygos and the like are wearing 155x14 tyres and the prices are dropping. Toyo and others are now making them in much bigger numbers so shop around!
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

They were also fitted to the likes of Citroen C1, C3, etc.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

Too high - my thoughts exactly, which is why I asked. I used to put 30psi all round when I ran on 145R14 tyres so I'll drop them to that and see how it goes.

TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Chipper wrote:They were also fitted to the likes of Citroen C1, C3, etc.
Isn't the C1 the same body pressing as an Aygo? Another case of "badge engineering" like wot BMC did with the Moggie van near the end of production - it suddenly sprung Austin badges!
:wink:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

NEVER under 30 psi.... I run 32 front and 34 rear on my Trav - more at the back if loaded up. The 155x14 you may be seeing on some moderns will NOT be 80 section....so probably not suitable for a Minor.....
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

I have nankings on mine and unless they are about 32 to 34 the car sort of bounces mainly at the back,just small rapid bounces(difficult to describe more a feeling through the seat),When I first put them on it was very noticable at 28ish. To the point where I spent loads of time looking at shockers and rear spring monts etc, I even swapped the rear springs to see if that made a difference.When you bounced the car you could see that the movement was in the side wall of the tyre,so I came to the conclusion that the walls of the nanking were very supple,and giving a sort of suspension,before the springs had an effect. Put the pressure up to lower 30 and it has improved it but not eliminated it. Would not buy Nanking again,don't thin k they are suitable for a ser 11,but may have just had a dodgy batch.