screen washer after market

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
craig12
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

screen washer after market

Post by craig12 »

im sure I know the answer to this one but just incase , is this the standard screen washer unit for my 1953 morris , says Lucas screen jet on it and its in full working order , if its original I will leave it on but I don't think it is
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: screen washer after market

Post by philthehill »

1953 Minors did not have screen washers fitted as original. Any windscreen washer fitted to a car of that age and of much later registration cars fitted with windscreen washers had them fitted as an after marker addition. Fitted quite a few after market kits when I worked in the BMC garage.
The system you have fitted is a real period fitment and I for one would leave it on.

craig12
Minor Friendly

Post by craig12 »

i did wonder how they washed the windows , and this explains a small button on the dash which is not standard , thanks for the advice I will leave on , the radio looks period also " Ever ready" , ive yet to see if that works but looks like you could remove from car to carry around with you ?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Keep the radio even if it does not work.
All these things are slowly disappearing. :cry:

gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

I have one of those fitted to the bulkhead of my '56 Traveller, I see yours is on the inner wing.
Wash bottles seem to have been fitted all over the place in the engine bay - and all different types.
Hold on to that one, especially if the impeller still works. Period replacements of this type can be bought from Moss Europe, but the price is astronomical (currently £236.95 - its come down a bit).
George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

As George said, they are worth a fortune, in the area of take it off, wrap it in cotton wool and store it somewhere safe.
[sig]3580[/sig]
craig12
Minor Friendly

Post by craig12 »

it came with the car and I need a washer unit , may as well stay on , just make sure it does not freeze , or sell it and but the money towards other jobs which need doing to the car , like new tyres
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

You can buy repro stickers for it on Ebay
craig12
Minor Friendly

Post by craig12 »

thanks , I really don't like repro (most comes from china ) its a last resort for me
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

The stickers are done in England and are identical to the originals and most Jaguar and Lagonda drivers use them
craig12
Minor Friendly

Post by craig12 »

a new sticker on that would stand out like a sore thumb , if it was missing I might get one but would rather see a old original / rusty , ripped , scratched part any day . its just personal choice really , the car could do with a respray but where possible I will just clear laq and try to preserve whats left of the original paint
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Its your choice :) I don't mind tatty original I just thought you might be restoring .I would rather see and own an original car than a don't drive in the wet and polish car that spends its time parked at car shows to eat sandwiches behind :lol:
craig12
Minor Friendly

Post by craig12 »

I know exactly what you mean , I am of the thinking that a restored car/bike cannot be original , so I try a keep mechanicaly sound but avoid repacment parts if I can , this car is fitted with a replacement SU fuel pump , but the old one came with it and is now fixed so its going straight back on