Coolant filling

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
936cbpminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Coolant filling

Post by 936cbpminor »

Hi. About to reconnect my fug stirrer after refurbing to the tap and copper tube (currently just have a short hose loop). Apart from obviously draining down a bit to minimise spillage, is there any recommendations for refilling so as not to get airlocks etc? Will then be time for the antifreeze! Incidentally found 53 years of 'trinkets' from the air ducts: 2 combs, plastic clothes peg, key from a Ford, potato peeler (?), AA battery holder.
1961 948cc Yukon Grey 'Her In Doors'
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Coolant filling

Post by mogbob »

If you've flushed out the radiator recently then : -
Make sure the heater is " ON " i.e water valve fully open.All hoses clips tight.
Either mix the antifreeze ..out of the car or fill the 50% ( or what ever dilution you are aiming for ) antifreeze neat, followed by water.Check for any obvious leaks.

Leave the radiator cap off and get the car idling up to temperature.Top up the level of water as necessary, whilst idling.
Fit the cap back on and take for a short drive.Heater pumping out hot air ? Return to base and leave idling, looking for leaks.If none, let engine cool right down and the double check the water level.
Bob
936cbpminor
Minor Friendly

Post by 936cbpminor »

Thanks Bob. Nice sunny day here on the coast so out with the antifreeze (bizarre weather!!). Hoses all connected and filled up. Pumps through a treat. Heater is VERY EFFECTIVE better than my new day car!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Post by bmcecosse »

There is NO risk of air-lock when filling a Minor cooling system. Fill to the brim and rev up with the cap off - you will see any air bubbling up......
ImageImage
936cbpminor
Minor Friendly

Post by 936cbpminor »

Thanks bmcecosse. As you said, pumped round a treat and all now working (very effectively and better for not having combs, potato peelers etc in the ducts). Now how do I find the window winder and let some fresh air in :D