Restoring a pre 1960 car MOT Rules

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Restoring a pre 1960 car MOT Rules

Post by Trickydicky »

I have had a search around but can't find what the MOT rules are regarding buying a car that has been off the road for years and in bits?
Would I have to take the car for a MOT after restoring it, before being able to insure and re register it.

Thanks
Richard.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Restoring a pre 1960 car MOT Rules

Post by busguy »

I'm not sure of the rules either. It would probably be the right thing to do to get an MOT before re-registering it, to show the car has been rebuilt to a roadworthy standard.

MOT stations could always MOT a car on its chassis number in the past, which probably also happens with used imports.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If it's got a V5 maybe you should Sorn the vehicle now, then when rebuilt, apply for tax and insurance, and presumably drive it. Mot is probably good for your own satisfaction if someone else does the rebuild!

warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

busguy wrote:MOT stations could always MOT a car on its chassis number in the past, which probably also happens with used imports.
The above still stands. I know someone who has an imported Mazda Bongo that has just gone thru an MOT on VIN number alone as it needed to have valid MOT for issue of UK reg. That was the easy part... Revenue and Customs and the "NOVA" number were a nightmare - so restoring a reg number (VRM) to an existing UK classic should be fairly straightforward
The voices in my head may not be real.... But they have some damn good ideas.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

To be exempt from MOT a pre 1960 car would have had to have had a valid MOT in November 2012 when the law came in. If the car had no MOT at that time ti would have to pass one MOT and would then become MOT exempt.

You can't just pull any old wreck from a barn and drive it! Plus the car has to be capable of passing an MOT, i.e. has to be roadworthy even though it does not have to take the test each year.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Thanks John for the reply, I understand that you cant just drive any old wreck from a barn after restoring it without an MOT.
I just could not find the answer anywhere explaining the proper process for MOT`ing a restored car.

Richard
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

chickenjohn wrote:To be exempt from MOT a pre 1960 car would have had to have had a valid MOT in November 2012 when the law came in. If the car had no MOT at that time ti would have to pass one MOT and would then become MOT exempt.

You can't just pull any old wreck from a barn and drive it! Plus the car has to be capable of passing an MOT, i.e. has to be roadworthy even though it does not have to take the test each year.
Haven't read this in the legislation could you direct me to the appropriate Gov site,or is it guidance from VOSA. cheers
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

There was a car in the car club my dad belongs to and one member had a car that had been off the road since the late ninties .He decided to put it back on the road all he had to is the brakes, so he insured it as he was wanting to take it to the garage for a MOT and the insurance came and he took the insurance to the Post office and they gave him a years road tax and he had not got it MOTed and still had to finish doing the brakes.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Thats my understanding, insure and you can then tax them. You can even do that online now as long as the vehicle has a modern tax book V5 and has the 11 digit code. I bought a series 11 that been off the road about 10years and the owner had insured and taxed, I insured and drove it home, with the new tax rules I re taxed it last night online as tax is no longer transferable even though its free on our cars.

Too many Minors so little time.....
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

kennatt wrote:
chickenjohn wrote:To be exempt from MOT a pre 1960 car would have had to have had a valid MOT in November 2012 when the law came in. If the car had no MOT at that time ti would have to pass one MOT and would then become MOT exempt.

Haven't read this in the legislation could you direct me to the appropriate Gov site,or is it guidance from VOSA. cheers
It was guidance from VOSA I read in 2012 when the law came into effect.
Last edited by chickenjohn on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The above was my understanding too - but I believe others have simply filled in the form, got a new V5c and then arranged insurance and applied for free tax - and got it!! This means then , all that's needed is an old Log Book (maybe not even that..) apply for a V5c - insure and (free) tax 'it' - and then the Reg number becomes transferrable ! :D Am I missing something here ???
ImageImage
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Yes

You need a valid MOT for a reg transfer irrespective of vehicle age.

You do not need an mot to use a barn find pre 60 vehicle on the road any more.... but it is still you responsibility to ensure that it is roadworthy..and taxed and insured.

Taupe
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Exactly Taupe, the car HAS to be roadworthy by law, which means it has to be capable of passing an MOT. So if you are not an MOT tester you really need to get the car tested.

If the Road vehicle license computerised system allows pre 1960's cars to be taxed with no MOT when they have not had an MOT for many years then this is clearly an unfortunate loophole.

Do so at your own risk!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Is that correct? An MOT cert is required to transfer a Reg Number - even on a pre 1960 number??? I have heard there are some 'Postal MOT' services around.......sometimes used for Competition cars...just supply the details and a few used Fivers, and the MOT Cert arrives without any fuss at all....... :roll: :lol:
ImageImage
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Yes you can tax a barn find with no MOT (sadly in my view). Done it with my '55 Austin A30, just to see how the system works really. It still needs a spring hanger and a sill finishing off before it goes anywhere near a road...
However if I wanted to transfer the reg off it I would have to MOT it. This is a simple way of inspecting a car now that we have no local DVLA offices, the MOT tester gets the job so it should work (we're assuming that MOTs by post are naughty and no one does that of course!). I'm guessing that they may pick a handful of reg transfers and ask to see them at DVLA test centres (the ones that do the Vehicle ID checks) but that would be a small proportion of cases I expect.

Result is now, that I have a scruffy A30 outside my garage with a current tax disc in the screen that I could use if I felt like it (although I would be breaking the law because its not roadworthy). I also get asked if its for sale by folk who just want extremely cheap motoring :evil: So I'll have to finish it off and get a proper MOT test done (only £30 special incentive for pre 60s at our local garage) so I can sell it on... (Also want the plate for my Series 2 van rebuild as its the right year but thats another story...) :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly

Post by Deux Chevaux »

I know of at least one case where a pre-1960 car that had been very expensively restored and had passed MOTs up to the 2012 introduction of the new rule, was required to continue having the annual test by the insurance company. From my understanding the insurance industry isn't very happy with this exemption rule. It's probably a wise move to ask your insurer to clarify their position on this issue.

Photo taken at Skaw Beach, Unst, Shetland Islands. The very end of the most northerly road in the British Isles.

Owned 663 KYC a 1961 Clipper Blue Morris Minor Tourer.
Propriétaire d'un 1988 Vert Bambou et Blanc Meije Citroën 2CV-Six Spécial.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

I thought insurance was all about risk?Obviously the companies dont want to take any.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

I would think that the ins comps would be glad that there was no MOT,because it gives them another reason to refuse a claim by classing the car as unroadworthy,because you couldn't prove it was. :-? :-?
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Another very good reason to keep up with MOT testing regardless of exemption.
You only need the roadworthyness of your car to be questioned after an accident and you're into alsorts of problems with insurance. I know MOT tests are only an indication on that day but it works for all in this country. I'm surprised that all classic car policies don't demand MOT tests tbh....
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!