Sorn issue?

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
qwerty165
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Sorn issue?

Post by qwerty165 »

Recently aquired a 1971 Traveller that was last taxed in 1985, meaning it would not need to be sorned. But now that it has changed hands and has been registered with a new keeper as of 2014 I thought it would now need to be sorned, especially since it came with a letter saying the vehicle needed to be taxed so that the new V5C could be updated. However when I tried to sorn it online I was told it was not possible and that it needed to be done at the post office. The post office however said they could do nothing and that it required a phone call to DVLA. After calling DVLA and reaching a human I was told that since the vehicle was last taxed in 1985 it could not be sorned and there was nothing I could do. So my question is where do I stand with this and what should I do?

panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Sorn issue?

Post by panky »

Nothing I guess, if SORN isn't required, and confirmed by the DVLA, then do no more. When the time comes to tax it then I'm sure there will be a form to fill in.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

As the car hasn't been taxed since 1985, the "constant taxing" law doesn't apply!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

Thank you for that, I just wanted to make sure that it was not a problem and to be on the safe side just incase DVLA tried to fine me.

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

qwerty165 wrote:Thank you for that, I just wanted to make sure that it was not a problem and to be on the safe side just incase DVLA tried to fine me.
However,if you haven't sent me the details of your AddPk Traveller by Midnight 2mor,
you have contravened section 4f of the ministry of righteous justice act 1991, failiure
to comply will see you receiving a visit from The Wurzels!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

POMMReg wrote:
qwerty165 wrote:Thank you for that, I just wanted to make sure that it was not a problem and to be on the safe side just incase DVLA tried to fine me.
However,if you haven't sent me the details of your AddPk Traveller by Midnight 2mor,
you have contravened section 4f of the ministry of righteous justice act 1991, failiure
to comply will see you receiving a visit from The Wurzels!
I did send it to you, though I forgot to send it recorded. So no doubt it has been conveniently lost.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If it can get an MOT - then tax it!
ImageImage
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

bmcecosse wrote:If it can get an MOT - then tax it!
Unfortunetly it requires a bit of work before it will be able to pass an MOT.

qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

As you can see from the photos, not currently able to get an MOT, without a little bit of work.
[frame]Image[/frame]
[frame]Image[/frame]
[frame]Image[/frame]

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

After calling DVLA and reaching a human I was told that since the vehicle was last taxed in 1985 it could not be sorned and there was nothing I could do
I'd try again and see if you get the same answer, if you do ask if it can be taxed.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"