Confused about my series II

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MMMDriver
MMOC Member: No

Confused about my series II

Post by MMMDriver »

Hi everyone,

I've owned my 1954 series II for almost 14 years now. He's been layed up (garaged) for 8yrs or so and I'm just remarking on getting him back on the road.

When I bought him the previous owner (who I'm no longer in contact with) had sold the original registration and now the car is adorned with heritage plates 'SVS 995' I believe the original plates were 'RTA 622' but can-not sure about this as it was simply the number written on the reverse of the little card in the plastic key fob on the egnition key supplied with the car!

The reason why I'm confused is as followes:
The car is a post facelift series II - i.e: smiley face grille and central speedo dash with open glove-boxes. From all I've read and from what everyone's telling me this 'facelift' occurred sometime in late September/oct 1954. The date on the V5 document for the car and the dvla register is June 1954!

Can anyone help me I clearing up what might be going on here? Are all the dates in every historian's research wrong or is it more likely that some jiggery-pokery has gone on with the DVLA's records?

I've attached a photo of the car incase it helps.

Please let me know what you think? I hope this inspires some interest amongst some of you out there and I'm not just boring the pants off everyone!

Many thanks,

L[frame]Image[/frame]
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Confused about my series II

Post by ManyMinors »

The best way to tell will be from the chassis number. Also, check that the number stamped into the alloy plate on the bulkhead is the same as the number stamped into the steel bulkhead on the car itself. According to reference books the earliest chassis number for the facelifted 4door cars like yours was 290173 with a date, as you've suggested, of September 1954......

Have a careful look for the bulkhead stamped number.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

May-Nov 1954 for "RTA" - doubt 622 (over half the series) have been reached during
June IF 999 was in November.

Suspect boo-boo on the rf60 if central speedo.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
MMMDriver

Post by MMMDriver »

Thanks for that info. Didn't know about the number on the body! Will check it out later today & post it here.

Best,

L
MMMDriver

Post by MMMDriver »

Ok, here goes.

I've located the number on the bulkhead and with a little scraping (forgive me but it was the only way I could reveal it - very badly stamped actually!). I couldn't get a descent photo of it without dis-connecting the heater pipes and the wiring loom but I wrote it down along with the numbers on the plates. Here they are:

Numbers as they appear on the plates:

Car no: FAJII/ 260430

Engine no: APHM 93715

Number stamped into bulkhead:

What are your thoughts? I don't know how to decode these things but should the body number on the bulkhead match the car number on the plate??!

Thanks for looking!

L
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

Your ID code Translates to:
MINOR/ 4 DOOR SALOON/ DARK GREY/ RIGHT HAND DRIVE/ SYNTHETIC PAINT/ No.260430. :D
Your Engine Code is: AUSTIN A SERIES 803cc .

MMMDriver

Post by MMMDriver »

Also have these plates on near side, top of bulkhead.[frame]Image[/frame]
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

The 'FJ' number and the stamped number should match. You were right to be concerned.
What is the VIN down as on the logbook?
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Body number matches the (stamped in) chassis id 303033

260430 matches for engine 93715 - is the latter FROM the car or........what's quoted ON the id plate?

original for 303033 approx. APHM 142xxx

The rego seems a bit of a puzzle too(?)
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
MMMDriver

Post by MMMDriver »

chesney wrote:The 'FJ' number and the stamped number should match. You were right to be concerned.
What is the VIN down as on the logbook?
Ok, as I mentioned before, it has heratiage plates on it now - SVS995 and to my knowledge these were put on it by the previous owner.

I've never seen the original log book as it was presumably surrendered along with the old number plates. I've only ever had the V5 document that has only existed since the heritage plates were put on. I guess this is the modern 'log book'.

Will check this when I get back tomorrow & let you know exactly what it says but from memory I don't think it tells us much other than what we already know!

Thanks again!

L
MMMDriver

Post by MMMDriver »

POMMReg wrote:Body number matches the (stamped in) chassis id 303033

260430 matches for engine 93715 - is the latter FROM the car or........what's quoted ON the id plate?

original for 303033 approx. APHM 142xxx

The rego seems a bit of a puzzle too(?)

Ok, these are the Numbers as they appear on the ID plates:

Car no: FAJII/ 260430

Engine no: APHM 93715

And this is the number stamped into the body of the car:

Cheers,

L
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It rather sounds as if your car has had the identity of an older one swapped onto it at some time. This is not uncommon and was probably done in order to sell/transfer the registration number of a car which only existed in the form of documentation...... Why whoever did that then sold the car on with the incorrect identity is anyone's guess?

I suppose you could attempt to find your cars correct identity (possible even the club have a record of the correct registration from the stamped in chassis number?) but failing that you'll just have to live with it I suppose. A bit of a shame but what else can you do :-?

I can't think of any other explanation offhand. A friend of mine owns a 1971 Traveller which has a chassis number about 10years earlier which I expect came about after a similar exercise. I hasten to add that it was like that when he bought it AND when the owner before him bought it too. Strangely, even the V5 records the incorrect details on that particular car :cry:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The other possibility of course is that the car is stolen - and disguised with details from a car being scrapped.... :o
ImageImage
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Apply for a British Heritage certificate
MMMDriver

Post by MMMDriver »

irmscher wrote:Apply for a British Heritage certificate
Have taken the plunge & applied for one this evening for the ACTUAL body number. We'll see what they come up with! Will post again once I get some news. Watch this space!

Thank you so much for your thoughts & time everyone!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You're doing the right thing... Is there any evidence that the car (as it is now) was ever 'dark grey' ?
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Boomlander wrote:Your ID code Translates to:
MINOR/ 4 DOOR SALOON/ DARK GREY/ RIGHT HAND DRIVE/ SYNTHETIC PAINT/ No.260430. :D
Your Engine Code is: AUSTIN A SERIES 803cc .
Engine code is
A = A Series
P = Push Rod
H = Power Rating (about 30bhp)
M = Morris
Austin would be APHA
[sig]3580[/sig]
mark_powell

Post by mark_powell »

Hi,

Looks like a nice example of a Series II all the same -

Please may I get some information from you regarding your car for the Series II register?

If you see this - private message me.

Cheers,

Mark.