What are these

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tubey98
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

What are these

Post by Tubey98 »

Ive attached a photo where I have circled to components in the engine but im not 100% sure what they are as im still new to morris minors. Would I be right in saying ine is a fuel pump and the other is a fuel filter[frame]Image[/frame]
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: What are these

Post by les »

The top circle shows the carburettor float chamber, the other is a type of oil separator/breather canister.

936cbpminor
Minor Friendly

Post by 936cbpminor »

Aside from the answer to the question, the photograph shows what looks like a wire coming from battery terminal (left side as viewed) across the front of the battery and then being cable tied to a yellow sleeve/wire adjacent to the fuel pump.
I would look at this as a matter of urgency if it is a connected wire. If the cable should cut through it will fuse very rapidly and you don't want that anywhere near any fuel. It may jus be a poor photograph. Anything connected to the battery needs a fuse either from the fuse box or a separate in line one.
1961 948cc Yukon Grey 'Her In Doors'
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I note that there is a mechanical fuel pump fitted (which I consider to be a very good move) and that rubber suction pipe looks to be very close to the exhaust pipe from where I am looking.
The rubber pipe needs to be kept well away from the hot exhaust.
The rubber pipe would have been better run further along the inside of the chassis leg and then up to the pump - well out of harms way.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Other than the above,looks like a nice,clean,engine bay!
Tubey98
Minor Friendly

Post by Tubey98 »

That yellow cable is a direct connection fro the battery terminal to the car radio but I am thinking of getting rid of it as I never use it. I might look into moving the rubber pipe in the future but at the moment it has no damage to it and as far as I know it been here from new. :D :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The rubber pipe feeding the mechanical fuel pump will not have been there since new.
The Minor was fitted with an SU electric fuel pump which was located on the bulkhead.
The mechanical fuel pump has been fitted at some time in lieu of the electric pump.
The mechanical fuel pump was fitted to for example:- to the Austin & MG/Sprite engines.
Phil

Tubey98
Minor Friendly

Post by Tubey98 »

Oh ok then thanks for letting me know is the electric one better or just a matter of opinion.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Personally I would stick with what you have got but keep those rubber pipes well away from the exhaust.
The only advantage the electric fuel pump has over the mechanical fuel pump is that it self primes the float chamber because it works as soon as you switch on the ignition.
The main advantage that the mechanical pump has over the electrical pump is that there are no points to get dirty and so stop the pump from working.
The mechanical pump was fitted to both of the A35s and the Marina I had and they never gave any trouble.
The mechanical fuel pump as fitted to the BMC 'A' & 'B' Series engines is a good reliable pump.
Phil

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And to all later Minis. But - it's not unknown for the diaphragm to fail - which allows petrol to leak into the engine oil. Obvious fire/explosion risk - but it also dilutes the oil and ruins the bearings and bores. I stress it is a RARE event - but not unknown. So if you ever notice the oil level rising.....check immediately for contamination with petrol.
ImageImage
Tubey98
Minor Friendly

Post by Tubey98 »

Ok thanks for telling me