REQUEST FOR HELP WITH MY SERIES 2'S HISTORY

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

REQUEST FOR HELP WITH MY SERIES 2'S HISTORY

Post by palacebear »

Hi all. I've recently acquired a Series 2 and I'd like to find out a little of its history. The car is a black 4-door deluxe saloon. First registered 3/8/56. It's registration number used to be JMS551. The number was removed in May 2010 when an age-related' substitute was allocated. The car has a recon 948cc engine which i THINK may have been fitted as long ago as 1961. The early service history shows a mileage of 29,985 in July '61 followed by a mileage of 1,050 two months later! The car appears to have had a long period of disuse between 1975 and 1988. According to a hand-written note the car was restored between 1988 and 1990. There are very few invoices with the car, but I have been able to verify most of its mileage history between 1961 and the present day (current mileage reading is 56,100) by means of hand-written records kept by a previous owner, and by old MOT certificates.
The car seems to have spent much of its life in the Berwick-upo-Tweed and Grangemouth areas, but more recently has been in Devon.
Any help or clues will be much appreciated. I'm particularly interested to learn the details/extent of the restoration circa 1990, Thanks. Tom.
1956 4-door called Max
busguy
Minor Addict

Re: REQUEST FOR HELP WITH MY SERIES 2'S HISTORY

Post by busguy »

It's no help whatsoever to you, but your car's original JMS 551 number now looks to be on a white Bentley Continental GT.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

busguy wrote:It's no help whatsoever to you, but your car's original JMS 551 number now looks to be on a white Bentley Continental GT.
Thanks busguy. Safe to assume a straightforward cherished transfer. It's a small 'lose end' tied up :)
1956 4-door called Max
Dean
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Dean »

Apply to DVLA to get all the previous owners names and addresses. There is an online form and a £5 charge.

You could always try your luck and see if any are still with us and at the same address to tell you any tales.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I downloaded two V888 forms to find out the previous owners for my Morris 1000 van and MG Midget and have just got them back and I found out my van had a colour change in the 1990s from brown to blue and my MG first owner lived in a large manor in bridgnorth.