Engine Number Inquiry

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
minormarc
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Engine Number Inquiry

Post by minormarc »

Hi everyone.

I am new on the forum here and haven’t even got a MM yet but I am just about to buy an engine to take apart and rebuild nicely as I have done one from a slightly more modern car before. I think it’s good to get to know a car’s heart.

Anyway… my question is, and it may be silly but is there any way of finding out about an engine by the engine number alone? For example, what the registration number of the car is/was that it was married to at one stage. The one I’m about to buy has the number 10V/189E/L83188 which, from researching seems to have come from a post 1970 van and does the ‘L’ mean it’s a low compression engine? Is there a register of such things?

I’d be grateful for any help you good people can give me.

Many thanks

Marc
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Engine Number Inquiry

Post by palacebear »

Engine number suggests van or pickup built 1969 or later. The L is indeed low compression (apparently low comp engines were standard fittings in commercial models. High comp was an option).

Don't think there's any way of identifying the vehicle registration number from the engine number. As it's a van/pickup engine, the LCV register may be able to help.
1956 4-door called Max
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

(Chassis nos wise) from a mid 312xxx to early 313xxx Civilian LCV.

Should be blk with a plastic air filter cover.

Does this make sense, minormarc?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

POMMReg wrote:(Chassis nos wise) from a mid 312xxx to early 313xxx Civilian LCV.

Should be blk with a plastic air filter cover.

Does this make sense, minormarc?
Info from my book, will see if I can narrow it down when access to database.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
minormarc
Minor Friendly

Post by minormarc »

Hi again everyone and thanks very much for the replies.

I did quite a bit of 'Googling' on the subject and that's what drew me to the conclusion that it was a 1098cc van engine RWD (10V) and that it was a low compression engine (from the 'L' in the last block of digits) but any further info about the car it came from would be good. Not essential, just nice to know really.

Am I right in thinking that the LC engine had dished pistons and the HC flat top pistons? I was wondering what the possibility is of skimming the head down (it would need to be done anyway to ensure a flat mating surface during the course of a re-build) enough to increase the compression ratio to somewhere near a HC engine.

Does anyone have any thoughts other than to read a really complicated book?

Thanks again

Marc.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Both low and high compression engines have dished pistons - the size of the dish is different - the low compression engine having a deeper dish.
You can skim the head but if you are going to rebuild the engine fitting a set of high compression pistons would be better.
The limiting factor for skimming an 'A' Series head is the distance of the oil transfer passage (which goes from the block oil up-riser passage to the front rocker pillar post) from the face of the head. The metal remaining after skimming should not be less than 0.080".

minormarc
Minor Friendly

Post by minormarc »

Okay Phil, thank you. That's a great bit of information.