Pin Spanner

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Pin Spanner

Post by simmitc »

Years ago I made a pin wrench to engage with the holes in the rear anchor bolt. I've now mislaid it and before making another, does anyone know where I can get a ready made one to fit the anchor bolt? It would be similar to the wrench used to secure the disc on an angle grinder, but with the pins of the correct diameter and spacing. There was probably a specific Morris tool reference, but I can;t see it in the manual or parts list that I have. All sensible answers will be gratefully received.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Pin Spanner

Post by philthehill »

There was never a special tool available for the rear spring front spring hanger pin with the two holes in the large end - though there may have been a tool used in the factory during production.
The tool as per the photo below which was adapted from a 4" disc grinder disc retaining nut spanner
Attachments
Eye pin 2.JPG
Eye pin 2.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1444 times

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Very similar to what I made previously, except I cut off the unwanted lugs. I was just hoping to save time and energy by buying a ready made one. Perhaps instead I'll have to go in to production...
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The original lugs were left on so that I could still use it tighten the grinder nut.

The holes in the after market shackle pin are not always at the same distance apart or the same internal diameter so a production version may not be possible.
I made one of the tool pin holes slightly elongated to compensate for any difference.
I also re-drilled the two holes in the end of the pin so as to be the same internal diameter.
The holes in the pin were also drilled slightly deeper to accommodate the new high tensile pins and give better rotational grip.