Wheels

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
edmo_original
MMOC Member: No

Wheels

Post by edmo_original »

I am currently looking for a new set of wheels, not just the usual ones, wider ones as I've had enough of having to fight the car going round roundabouts. I thought about weller ones but I had heard there is a manufacturer who makes wheels that look like normal ones but are wider. Any ideas? Also do you have any ideas on steel wheel maufacturers generally who make wheels with four bolt holes.
Willie
Minor Legend

wheels

Post by Willie »

If you are fed up with fighting the car on roundabouts
fit an anti roll bar....you will be amazed.
Willie
Cam

Post by Cam »

The vast majority of wheel manufacturers make 4 hole wheels, but you need the correct diameter, width, offset, pitch circle diameter (PCD), bolt pattern, stud width and centre diameter.

Have a look at: http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/tyre_bible.html

for more info.

Generally wide wheels to fit a minor are difficult to get hold of in steel with the original looks.

You could try the wheels from an LCV but they are difficult to get hold of and they are not that much wider.

if you want very wide wheels, then you will probably need to change the axle and front hubs to accomodate a more common modern stud pattern such as Ford, Peugeot, etc.

Have a look at:

http://www.morrisminoroc.co.uk/messageb ... highlight=

Minilites are available in the minor stud pattern but they don't look original.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

As I didn't have an anti roll bar, I used to over-adjust the front torsion bars so the suspension was near the ends of its travel.
That gave the car a slightly high front end but much less body roll, and therefore was better on roundabouts.
Of course I was in my 20's at the time :oops:

These days I just live with the body roll and take care of the car's limits, (but if I had the time I'd fit uprated front torsion bars, tele-shocks and anti roll bar...)

Nobody asked the obvious question yet about tyres. If you are still using crossplys, that may be part of the problem.
For wider wheels, I'd use wide van rims - I've seen them used with 155's to 175's though i'm not sure which size is best.

I'm still looking for 2 more van rims, but people are asking up to £50 each and I'm to much of a skinflint. Even so, as they fit without the hassle it's a cheaper option than new alloys, and I'd be wary of going much bigger than 165 on a 'standard' Minor anyway.
Last edited by rayofleamington on Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Cam

Post by Cam »

If you fit rear radius arms in between the axle and the floorpan it not only removes the tramping but it also acts as a rear anti-roll bar!

I was amazed at the handling difference!

Also fitting 100% uprated torsion bars really stiffens the front end which again improves the handling.

I have 14" 185/60 tyres on the back of mine, and they also contribute to the handling as well as traction.

They are perfectly safe as long as they are fitted to rims that were designed to take that size of tyre AND you have correctly calculated the offset and clearance.