BWX 560H Trafalgar Blue 2 Door Saloon

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Colintree
MMOC Member: No

BWX 560H Trafalgar Blue 2 Door Saloon

Post by Colintree »

Just wondered if anybody knows what happened to my old Morris Minor Saloon - Trafalgar Blue Reg. No. BWX 560H. I live in Liverpool and owned BWX from around 1985 until Apr 1988. The car presented as very original and always ran superbly - testimony to the quality and useability of these little cars when in good condition. Underbody restoration done properly during my ownership by a garage in Malvern (Bob Atkins?). I bought BWX from its original owner (Miss Gertrude Dobson) who lived near Anside (in Cumbria) after seeing it advertised in the Morris Minor Owners Club magazine. Used as my everyday car until a sad sale in Apr 1988. By a strange coincidence the person who bought the car also lived up in Cumbria (on the west coast) so in a sense the old girl went back home. I recall my very sad last drive when I dropped the car off for her new owner at Lancaster Station.
I could give the present owner lots of information about the car during my ownership including photographs that I am sure would be of interest. DVLA records indicate no tax since early 90's so I am fearful about what might have happened, albeit surprised given the overall good condition of the car when I sold it. Perhaps it is lying in a barn up in Cumbria - I do hope so l. Would love to hear news of the car and confirmation that it still exists?.
singleton
Minor Fan

Re: BWX 560H Trafalgar Blue 2 Door Saloon

Post by singleton »

Hello there, Morris Minor 1000 registration number BWX560H is showing 5 previous keepers, last keeper changes as follows:

02-11-1991

31-01-2001

So it has been a while but there has definitely been activity with the vehicle since the early 90s.
[sig]10193[/sig]
Colintree

Post by Colintree »

Thank you your reply to my enquiry - much appreciated. Gives me some hope BWX may still survive?.

Bestvregards

Cilin
singleton
Minor Fan

Post by singleton »

There’s always hope, my car which belonged to my grandad and then my dad many years ago is in my garage now, I found it 20 years after it was sold in the early 80s in 2000, It’s tax ran out 1987 and last official keeper change was in 1981 so on paper it looked long gone, but it’s still with us! Anything that’s been off the road pre 98 does not require a sorn declaration so it can sit legally at untaxed status obviously on private land. Cheers and good luck!
[sig]10193[/sig]
Colintree

Post by Colintree »

Hi there
Thanks for your reply which is much appreciated. That must have been a very special day when you found the Minor that had belonged to your Grandad and Dad. You story gives me hope that BWX may still be out there. I often wonder why we get so emotionally attached to our past cars, which of course at the end of the day are just lumps of metal and plastic. Personally, I blame the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang which I first saw at a very impressionable age (i.e. as a child) but also I think I am from that generation where car ownership was still regarded as special - when cars were more usually used - if you were very fortunate to have a car at all - for heydays and highdays rather than everyday transport. Hence the memories of happy times which Morris Minors and similar era cars evoke. Thanks again. Colin
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

On a tangential aspect to this particular enquiry, I support singleton's comment about some cars being stored for years 'off road'.

A neighbour of mine this past 24 years, ever since we moved in, has always had a small low car under a cover in his garage, which from the shape of it I guessed might be a Fiat X/19. I was close, at least as far as the overall shape.

This weekend he had it out of the garage for the first time I've ever noticed, and I could check the Reg, plus I went over and asked him about it (at a safe distance).

....off the road since 1990 it's a Clan Crusader, .... a what! you ask...
A kit car factory built between 1971 and 1974 using Hillman Imp Sport engine and running gear.
Only 315 built, plus a few others assembled from parts after production ceased. https://www.clanownersclub.org/

So cars can turn up from nowhere.

My neighbour must be a member of the Clan Owners Club or something because apparently someone is pestering him to sell it. :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II