regarding radiator

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Classiccars
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

regarding radiator

Post by Classiccars »

hi so many questions.Can you please look at this picture .I think it is a thermostat for the radiator.I have an afermarket fan on the 1275 engine and the fan was not working and radiator overflowed when hot.I fiddled with this as there is what appears to be a turney bit sticking out .After fiddling with this the fan not is on constantly with ignition on.Better than not at all but is there a compromise please.
IMG_3975.JPG
IMG_3975.JPG (2.32 MiB) Viewed 1926 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: regarding radiator

Post by philthehill »

The thing attached to the radiator is the thermostatic control for the electric fan.
From your photo it can be determined that you do not have a coolant fan fitted to the water pump..
As you do not have a fan fitted to the water pump you must ensure that the electric fan is working.
Do you know what make of electric fan you have fitted? A photo of the electric fan would be helpful.

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

thank you.I could take a picture of the fan but was wondering if the long thing sticking out of the thermostat is a control as when I fiddled with it rather than being off all the time it is now on all the time. What do you think please
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I would suggest that until the make of the coolant fan is known I would be unable to determine the method of setting the coolant fan operation.
Once the make of the fan is known operating instructions can be found and the procedure set out.
There may be someone out there who recognises the make of the fan and switch gear and can advise accordingly.

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thank you will post picture in week best wishes
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Classiccars wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:14 pm thank you.I could take a picture of the fan but was wondering if the long thing sticking out of the thermostat is a control as when I fiddled with it rather than being off all the time it is now on all the time. What do you think please
Until we see the other side it's anyone's guess, but to me the 'turney bit' looks like it may simply be a plastic fastener pushed through from the other side of the radiator.
Very hard to tell without actually being there....
Basil the 1955 series II

mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

I agree with geoberni and Phil , thermostatic sensor held against the radiator vanes by a plastic cable fixing through the radiator itself.
In your photo the two wires ,leaving said switch , appear to have a kink in them. Are the wires still "unharmed " at this point or have they been "compromised / damaged " i.e exposed wires , touching each other , which might explain the " constantly on " fan scenario when the ignition is on ?
Bob
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Yes wire are damaged.car in for carb work soon so will advise to have a look .thank you
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

hi picture of radiator as it may help
IMG_3997.JPG
IMG_3997.JPG (2.2 MiB) Viewed 1743 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Kenlowe is a well known make.
I believe from your photo you have a model No: KLM2474 electric fan fitted.

Here is the link to Kenlowe:-

http://www.kenlowe.com/CoolingOEM.php

There is plenty of visual information & fitting instructions on 'You Tube' as well as fitting information on the wider web.

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/fea ... lassic-car

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thanks for the advise.will get the job done