I found a series MM or very early series 2, West Cornwall

Found a Minor in a scrapyard? Let us all know about it and exactly where it can be found.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
trunnions59

I found a series MM or very early series 2, West Cornwall

Post by trunnions59 »

Hi.
Yesterday i went to look at a very sad black Split screen Minor which i believe may well be a very late Series MM or an early Series 2.
Its black, a 2 door saloon and has the following features.
The early type Morrs rear axle.
MM type front seats in red.
Cheesgrater grill and early type dash.
Square type glass rear lamps.
A gearlever in a S-shape which i am sure is the MM type, but confusingly there is a 1098 A series engine under the bonnet.
There is no upturn on the engine bay floor next to the oil filter.
There is a badge on the front grille which says the car hails from Scotland; the registration is apparently the original and is YYJ something or other although i know these letters have been recently used on age related numbers issued by the DVLA, the appearance of the rear plate makes me inclined to think it the original.
The car is owned by a bit of a 'geezer' shall i say (!) who seems to deal in auto 'repairs', and he said he couldn't bring himself to weigh it in. He also told me he has the V5 logbook.
Now the bad news; its quite rusty. The sills both sides have disintegrated and so has the bottom of the front panel as have the chassis legs and the door bottoms.
However, the rear inner wings aren't bad, the doors haven't dropped, indicating that the A pillars are still sound, and the floor displays solidity; the passenger front floor seems good and original.
It has a 1999 tax disc so has been off the road since then, despite the owners wild claim that it was MOT'd last year.
He spent five minutes telling me how solid it was, before i went to have a look myself, so his opinion is not to be believed!
He wants £300. I think its do-able if you want a project and like welding and i feel i would like to save it.
Unfortunately i already have five Minors in my family plus another on the way, and so i need to be sensible.
If anyone wants to save this old lady, please email me.
The Morris is located in West Cornwall, near Hayle.
Peetee
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: I found a series MM or very early series 2, West Cornwall

Post by Peetee »

I wonder if that is the same car that was owned by a bloke I knew at college at Redruth in 1990? He had driven it down from London on the original engine and pretty much killed it so replaced it with a later lump.
Small world.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
trunnions59

Post by trunnions59 »

Could be. Its a real shame it just sitting there. Deserves someone to rescue it.
rio678
Minor Friendly

Post by rio678 »

where is this being advertised? could do with some parts for my series 2 :-) and im near hayle
trunnions59

Post by trunnions59 »

Its not advertised. Its just sitting in a corner of a yard/field. Message me and include a phone number. What parts are you after?
Jimbike

Post by Jimbike »

I'm just about to send you a message as I'm kind of looking for a project and in Hayle. It may still be there :-?